SAU Community

Rb 30 25 coil pack choices

Hi everyone

Due to recently accidentally buggering two of my Spitfire coil packs and finding it difficult to find 2 to replace them.

I'm wondering if there is any gain to be had by converting to the Ls coil packs or the Yaris coil packs.

If so can I please have the correct part numbers for the best Yaris or LS coil pack.

Also any information needed on fittings them as well please

Thank you

Yaris (or just about any similar pencil coil) hands down choice over the truck coils as the truck coils are finicky about dwell.

Yaris, or Celica or Corolla (which is pretty much the 1NZ and 1ZZ coils) are all much of a muchness I think.  There is one particular choice out of them which is the better one.  A lot of them have the wiring loom plug angled upwards.  These are not as good a choice as the ones with the loom plug horizontal, because of not being able to make them fit under a coil cover.

I think the part number of choice is 90919-02240 .  See http://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-articles/coilpack-info-guide

The similar Audi coils and R35 coils are all equally good.  Whatever the choice, you end up needing plugs and some mounting plates.  And probably have to sort out rubber boots/springs.

Edited by GTSBoy

Coil pack upgrades (as in, an upgrade beyond the usual drop in splitfires) are pointless unless you're running a serious setup with which the standard coil type can't keep up. You don't so much net gains with better coils, you just retrieve lost power through poor quality or worn ignition components. Simply put, unless you're running a drag or drift car with 1000hp, or your coils are worn, stick with what you have. Buy the new set and onsell your four to someone else?

I have found a cheap and easy way to mount yaris coils into the rb25det neo and also the s1 & s2 motors.

You can just buy some thread bar the same size as the 8mm bolt on the s1 and 2 and the same size as the 10mm bolts that hold the NEO ones in place and cut it to size and use a bolt as a stopper to where it likes to sit and use another bolt on top to fasten it,  worked great on my neo,  when i changed to a s2 head all i did was turn down the bottom of the stud to a m5 1.0 and adapted it to the coil brackets.

if you are worried about looks then fork out the cash for the kits getting around

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jordy32 said:

Kudos sell them 1 by 1 if you just need 2, shouldn't be a difficult problem to fix.

Yer but 99 each i might aswell buy a full new set.

Was hoping to find someone who has changed to yaris or ls and off loading them

unless you buy the yaris coils from toyota or a known oem supplier dont bother we get heap through the shop and they fail constantly, many other big name shops are also seeing the same failures. Read the replies...

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Well, it goes without saying that you want genuine Delco.  Otherwise it's no different to putting yellowjackets on.

DENSO...

Problem is they all are exact copies including the toyota part numbers and DENSO markings..so there is no way to tell.... tested spark energy is not much better than spltfires anyway...

Sorry, you're right, was thinking Denso and having had the same argument elsewhere over the truck coils the other day, have OEM name confusion to add to my other problems.

There is a way to buy proper Denso product.  Go to a proper vendor, not eBay et al.

3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Sorry, you're right, was thinking Denso and having had the same argument elsewhere over the truck coils the other day, have OEM name confusion to add to my other problems.

There is a way to buy proper Denso product.  Go to a proper vendor, not eBay et al.

yeah problem is even the most popular vendors are selling copies.... you will see that in the post i linked earlier. ive tried 3 reputable vendors and all are selling copies dressed as genuine. 

For some reason I can't follow that link - it doesn't even display properly.  Is it on here, or is it facebook? (I have EVERYTHING facebook blocked in my browser).

By proper vendors.....I'm thinking OEM stockists like Ashdown Ingrams and the like.

6 hours ago, Komdotkom said:

For f**ks sake, I've just put Yaris coils on mine that I purchased from Goleby's. The didn't come in OEM Toyota boxes so now I suspect that they'll be fakes.

What dwell times are you using Trent?

I'm pretty sure i've seen somewhere on FB that golebys confirms they are not genuine coils in their kits. 

On 3/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, Komdotkom said:

For f**ks sake, I've just put Yaris coils on mine that I purchased from Goleby's. The didn't come in OEM Toyota boxes so now I suspect that they'll be fakes.

What dwell times are you using Trent?

these are where alot of the replicas ive seen (and other reputable shops) are from.

If you check out the link below you will see some big name shops having the same dramas. Click on the comments icon and it will open the conversation.

click here

Run conservative dwell on the golebys ones to be safe.

Battery Voltage (V)

Dwell Time (msec)