SAU Community

6 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

has any ever had their 90's era car air-bag go off? wondering if they even work at all

Edit: I've hit a few kangaroos and never set anything off, but not sure how much of an impact is required.

I’m no air bag expert but I have been in a accident where an air bag was deployed so can speak from experience that it went off when most of the front was totally damaged. 

They are supposed to last a very long time whatever that equates to your guess is good as mine.

6 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Then you go remove your airbag because you don't want to die, just to be defected by the cops and fail your inspection LOL... can't win.

considering the replacement for affected cars is reportedly an 18 months wait, and recently a guy died from one of these days or weeks from replacement, you could argue (probably in court) that removal was justified for fear of safety?

1 minute ago, GTofuS-T said:

considering the replacement for affected cars is reportedly an 18 months wait, and recently a guy died from one of these days or weeks from replacement, you could argue (probably in court) that removal was justified for fear of safety?

This is exactly why I feel uneasy as we don’t know for sure whether our cars are affected or not and no one seems to know for sure.

So, in Australian delivered cars it goes back to 1999 (E46 BMW). https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list

Interestingly, no E90's are affected.

Wikipedia has more info but fails to cover the vehicles affected - perhaps a liability issue? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takata_Corporation#Cars_affected

1 hour ago, PranK said:

So, in Australian delivered cars it goes back to 1999 (E46 BMW). https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list

Interestingly, no E90's are affected.

Wikipedia has more info but fails to cover the vehicles affected - perhaps a liability issue? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takata_Corporation#Cars_affected

Hey mate, thanks for the info. Still doesn’t specifically exclude our cars but it does tend to suggest we are not. 

One can only hope we don’t find out the hard way!

4 minutes ago, Robocop2310 said:

Hey mate, thanks for the info. Still doesn’t specifically exclude our cars but it does tend to suggest we are not. 

One can only hope we don’t find out the hard way!

Considering the number of these airbags in circulation and only ~25 deaths and ~250 injuries your odds are pretty good.

1 hour ago, r32-25t said:

I don’t understand how this issues goes so far back and they’ve only worked it out 18 or so months ago

Yeah me neither, clearly some ball dropping going on.

6 minutes ago, PranK said:

Considering the number of these airbags in circulation and only ~25 deaths and ~250 injuries your odds are pretty good.

Yeah me neither, clearly some ball dropping going on.

Yep agreed but I would hate to be the 1-5% chance with a hole through my face.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PranK said:

Hmmmm the other link doesn't mention e90s at all.

The link in your post further up the page lists E90s - it shows as "E8x 1 series, E83 X3 and E9x 3 series" - thats the link I followed to get the page I linked.

My airbag was replaced a few months ago by BMW. Is your steering wheel a BMW supplied one?