• Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Recommended Posts

Hey guys, I’m fairly new to the skyline scene, but looking to buy an r34. 

My plan is to eventually upgrade to a larger turbo, maybe make 400-500 hp. 

Is it worth paying the extra $5000? for a gtt if I am going to redo the turbo system anyway.

I understand that there are other upgrades in the gtt, but I am not sure exactly what. 

I am not sure how much more expensive it is to turbo the gt model, compared to upgrading the turbo system in the gtt

Cheers,

Josh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please do a search for RB25DE+T or DE+T e.g. https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/335781-r34-rb25de-to-turbo-conversion/

In short, turboing an NA car is not worth it. Here's what the GTT has over the GT, among other things: stronger gearbox, bigger brakes, bigger wheels for the bigger brakes, rear swaybar, sidemount intercooler, everything in the right location in the engine bay. Possibly some differences in cooling also (rad, PS, auto gearbox). Fully converting a GT to a GTT is possible but a big job - just save up and buy a proper GTT. Better yet, buy someone else's 500hp car with everything done already.

Another solid myth is that buying an auto can be magically converted manual cheaper that buying a manual in the first place. Not true. Been there done that. If you want a manual, buy a manual.

Good luck.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, V28VX37 said:

Please do a search for RB25DE+T or DE+T e.g. https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/335781-r34-rb25de-to-turbo-conversion/

In short, turboing an NA car is not worth it. Here's what the GTT has over the GT, among other things: stronger gearbox, bigger brakes, bigger wheels for the bigger brakes, rear swaybar, sidemount intercooler, everything in the right location in the engine bay. Possibly some differences in cooling also (rad, PS, auto gearbox). Fully converting a GT to a GTT is possible but a big job - just save up and buy a proper GTT. Better yet, buy someone else's 500hp car with everything done already.

Another solid myth is that buying an auto can be magically converted manual cheaper that buying a manual in the first place. Not true. Been there done that. If you want a manual, buy a manual.

Good luck.

 

Agree with your points although buying someone elses 500hp car is not always the best option. I'd rather a stock/fairly stock and do all the work myself, that's half the fun of having a project car isn't it? Building it to where you want it to be as well as the fact you know the car has probably been thrashed already if it has 500hp.

Edited by Gymkhana
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, V28VX37 said:

Please do a search for RB25DE+T or DE+T e.g. https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/335781-r34-rb25de-to-turbo-conversion/

In short, turboing an NA car is not worth it. Here's what the GTT has over the GT, among other things: stronger gearbox, bigger brakes, bigger wheels for the bigger brakes, rear swaybar, sidemount intercooler, everything in the right location in the engine bay. Possibly some differences in cooling also (rad, PS, auto gearbox). Fully converting a GT to a GTT is possible but a big job - just save up and buy a proper GTT. Better yet, buy someone else's 500hp car with everything done already.

Another solid myth is that buying an auto can be magically converted manual cheaper that buying a manual in the first place. Not true. Been there done that. If you want a manual, buy a manual.

Good luck.

 

Cheers for the help man, kinda figured this would be the case; but didn't know there were that many differences.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Gymkhana said:

Agree with your points although buying someone elses 500hp car is not always the best option. I'd rather a stock/fairly stock and do all the work myself, that's half the fun of having a project car isn't it? Building it to where you want it to be as well as the fact you know the car has probably been thrashed already if it has 500hp.

Yea for sure, definitely going to buy a fairly stock car, looking to keep this as a project car for the next couple of years at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2018 at 6:38 PM, Jhare413 said:

Yea for sure, definitely going to buy a fairly stock car, looking to keep this as a project car for the next couple of years at least

Good stuff man will be good to see your progress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, Jhare413 said:

Yea for sure, definitely going to buy a fairly stock car, looking to keep this as a project car for the next couple of years at least

Only trouble with that is you lose your social life, own 2 pair of jeans [one with holes in the knees] and around 4 or 5 cheap T shirts with grease spots and welding/grinding holes in them and you live on noodles or cuppa soups cos you have nil time and $$$ to waste on food or clothes when there are important things like manifolds and turbo's to buy.

BTW....I have a THAT wardrobe, but my diet has progressed a little bit :) to include meat etc

Oh and get used to your gf/wife/partner rolling their eyes

But its all a journey...good luck man.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People forget that buying a finished project car isn't missing out of the fun of a project car.

The "fun" of a project car is keeping it running and trying to use it. There's more work in keeping it running than there EVER is in building it.

Buy Jussi's car and be happy
/Thread

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you consider "building" the car the fun bit of the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone's pointed out yet that the power you can get from a genuine DET will always be more and easier than from a DE+t. So if you have a particular power figure in mind you might only have one choice really.

I've done the DE+t and the sense of satisfaction is pretty awesome. I'd have had to wait a lot longer to buy a GTT and the moment might have just slipped away. Keep saving and watch the prices rise. My budget would probably have got me a GTST at the time but I wanted the R34. It might have been non-turbo for a few years but at least I was driving it. I gradually did the supporting mods - brakes, suspension etc.  before the turbo conversion. If you're ok with spanners it's not hard, not particularly time consuming and not that expensive if you're patient about looking for good deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, DatsunBanana said:

...
Keep saving and watch the prices rise. 
...

Perhaps in the UK but certainly not in Aus or NZ :)

The cheapest GTT right now on CarSales is AU$8k. TradeMe has one with a 26 in it for NZ$10k...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

The cheapest GTT right now on CarSales is AU$8k. TradeMe has one with a 26 in it for NZ$10k

Awesome - I'm in the wrong country :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 10:27 AM, niZmO_Man said:

Unless you consider "building" the car the fun bit of the process.

The building only truly begins once the "build" is completed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now