SAU Community

Better to buy a motor already built?

So I am about to start a Nitto 2.8 build on my 33 GTR and an already built Nitto 2.8 by CRD has popped up on the market with only 2200kms on it.

Would I be better off buying the prebuilt 2.8 or building myself?

My mechanic swears by building yourself so you know what you are getting and not get ripped off but if it potentially saves me $$ in the long run if the motor checks out by contacting CRD and Jem about the build, would it be worth it?

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Well, apart from the silly power claim, if the engine is that new, is directly known by the builder and the builder & tuner can vouch for the lack of stupidity of the owner (a big ask, frankly), then it is possibly a good way to get such an engine without the hassle of building it.

But at $35k......there's still a lot of risk associated with the idea.

• Like 2

I have spoken to JEM about it and they vouch for the car and also have spoken to the owner of the motor in depth over the phone about it.

Watched a dyno pull of the car making the 602kws.

I’m just unsure cause I don’t want to buy it then have the thing grenade in 5000kms time and no warranty on the build lol

Maybe I should just go with my gut instinct and do my own build

Why not build your own for 35k?

Not hating but it's such a good engine why is it for sale?

You arent exactly getting it for a steal. Its a lot of money.

Edited by WantGTR

Why not build your own for 35k?
Not hating but it's such a good engine why is it for sale?
You arent exactly getting it for a steal. Its a lot of money.

The owner is pulling the donk out and returning the car back to stock.

He seems very genuine and was telling me about his business plans and reasons for removing the motor.

I think I’m just gunna build my own to be honest though. I already have a different hotside setup that I want to run anyway and he isn’t willing to part the motor.

I guess it was a moment of weakness for me when it popped up for sale haha

If youre staring down thebarrell of spending 30-40k imo build your own. 

You know its all new gear. At the sort of money you don't want someone elses stuff.

I considered second hand turbo setups and other parts but ppl want basically new prices for second hand gear. I dont care how good of a recommendation it has. You are better off making a new purchase with a receipt and be the first one to use it.

• Like 2

Do you even get a warranty on a build like that?
Will your mechanic make money building you an engine? If yes his advice isn't impartial.

My place of work will be building it and I served in the army with my mechanic for 10yrs and we will be building it together so his advice is good advice lol

You would kick yourself if you encountered an issue down the track. Stripped it down and found an issue in the build. There obviously would be no comeback on the builder etc. at 600kws there would be no warranties anyway as pointed out above. I take it your building a beast to drive on the strip only? It wont be a daily without it being detuned allot for daily duties, and that's wasteful and expensive. Have you ever driven something with that amount of power?

• Like 1

It is a big risk for a huge amount of money. How much power are you chasing?

If it was me, i would buy a RIPS rb30 or simply forge your own engine. Talk to tuning shops and they may even offer a warranty on the build to the dyno tune. Even to the final tune if they limit the rpm and boost.

Piece of mind to save stress and a hole in the pocket.

Regards mate

• Like 1

I must be missing something here. Can people please advise which shops offer warranty on performance engines?

Im not talking about after sale support because you spent heaps of money there im talking aboutmore than that. 

I must be missing something here. Can people please advise which shops offer warranty on performance engines?
Im not talking about after sale support because you spent heaps of money there im talking aboutmore than that. 
Hey, i dont want to spread bs information but i seem to remember a tuning shop that offers a warranty on a complete build and tuning up to the first start and initial tune performed on their dyno.
Once the car is started, the initial breakin is performed on dyno by the shop, oil changed and is tuned.
After that, the warranty is over.

I dont know if this was a one-off or common practice but seems reasonable when a customer asks for a full, all included turn key package where there are no outside factors to affect the finished product.