SAU Community

Replacing Coolant hoses on RB25DET R33 R34

Sorry I just noticed there was no outcome on this thread. Nothing worse then a thread that goes to nothing once the problem is fixed.

I got a bit screwed over by the second Ebay seller, the first Ebay seller was very helpful. The hoses I got were for a R33 not R34, they are different. The Ebay seller said that the hoses had been tested at a workshop blaa blaa blaa, and didnt give a refund. Even though i had photo evidence of them not fitting.

I ended up buying two R34 skyline silicon radiator hoses from JustJap. They were on special because they are crappy red. You can pay an extra $10 for nicer colours.

I'm still looking for a full RB25DET NEO coolant hose kit, I might have to go OEM.

PS: My car got towed today from overheating. I filled up the radiator before I left (It needed alot). Driving down the highway the temperature gauge went up to 75% cooled down to 50% when slowing down. Apparently it could be fan, thermostat or radiator. The radiator was still full. I did overfill (above high) the overflow bottle a bit. When it was hot the overflow bottle was totally full and overflowing.

WP_20190114_16_54_49_Pro[1].jpg

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, trel said:

That's happening because you have air in the system. Did you loosen bleed valve while filling up?

Thanks, It had pitting on the block. I still haven't fixed it.

• 2 years later...

So is there a clear answer to this? My 33 with RB20 NEO transplant is missing the two big radiator hoses and I am confused at which ones to get. Most of the aftermarket two-hose kits list them for R33 and R34 combined, and I cannot tell from the pictures whether they will fit. Do NEOs have a smaller diameter at the thermostat neck?

And is there a significant difference on the top hose curvature?

On 11/21/2022 at 9:41 AM, Neostead2000 said:

So is there a clear answer to this? My 33 with RB20 NEO transplant is missing the two big radiator hoses and I am confused at which ones to get. Most of the aftermarket two-hose kits list them for R33 and R34 combined, and I cannot tell from the pictures whether they will fit. Do NEOs have a smaller diameter at the thermostat neck?

And is there a significant difference on the top hose curvature?

From my experience I found that the two radiator hoses for R33 and R34 are similar. For your case id try R34 hoses. When I had the R33 ebay hose on, the hose was kinked. I assume the radiator ins and outs would be the same for R33 and R34. I'm not sure about the differences R34 RB20DE NEO, RB25DE NEO and RB25DET NEO. I do have an RB25DE NEO in a R31 Sedan.

If the seller says R33 and R34 find another seller. Id recommend buying them from JustJap or other sellers that list them separately for R33 or R34.

I haven't purchased any complete silicon kits for the R34/S2 stagea. I would like to get one soon. Most say kits are for R33 and R34. I think they are for R33 with some hoses common between R33 and R34.

• Thanks 1

Okay so just to reiterate and give some further confirmation, the radiator hoses between R33 and R34 ARE IN FACT DIFFERENT!!!

The lower radiator hose has a wider inlet for the thermostat neck  which means NEO engines have a smaller neck on the thermostat housing confirmed. However, I cut the wider section out entirely and the hose fit perfectly so that's a save.

The bigger problem remains with the top radiator hose as Brendan suggested. The hose not only has a different angle to it (it's close to 120 degrees compared to 90 deg on the NEO), but it's also just too short. First I had to cut about 25mm from the manifold side and then I need to find a 65mm long piece of 32mm OD tube to fill up the gap. Then use a secondary hose to reach the top radiator inlet. It's not ideal and it just means one more point of failure but honestly I don't have much choice here it's not like I can order the OEM stuff and have them at my door the next day, simply impossible.

In conclusion, the R33 radiator hoses that are also marketed for R34 DO NOT BOLT UP 100% and WILL NEED trimming and modification. Here are some pics for future people.

viber_image_2022-11-28_21-21-16-406.thumb.jpg.a58a3b814423c15ef2ecac3633e944f6.jpgviber_image_2022-11-28_21-21-16-638.thumb.jpg.e014534298e7bfe859bff25d74ce798e.jpgviber_image_2022-11-28_21-21-16-854.thumb.jpg.a3f597b2abf566e0137a061e1cb094d0.jpgviber_image_2022-11-28_21-21-17-279.thumb.jpg.dae9a517c2265a2375d876a859907c93.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 6:35 AM, Neostead2000 said:

Okay so just to reiterate and give some further confirmation, the radiator hoses between R33 and R34 ARE IN FACT DIFFERENT!!!

Thanks for the info and pics. I guess some brands and manufacturers might be closer to fitting then others.

Those blue hoses look of good quality.

Have you got gold anodized parts or is that lighting. Looks good.

You would think there would be someone out there that made a full coolant silicon set for the NEO. I did find one on eBay a couple years back. I think was about $350 in China. I think it was like 13 pieces. It came in a bunch of different colours. At the time I didn't want to be a guinea pig and try it. I can't find it anymore. 

10 hours ago, QLDR31 said:

Thanks for the info and pics. I guess some brands and manufacturers might be closer to fitting then others.

Those blue hoses look of good quality.

Have you got gold anodized parts or is that lighting. Looks good.

You would think there would be someone out there that made a full coolant silicon set for the NEO. I did find one on eBay a couple years back. I think was about $350 in China. I think it was like 13 pieces. It came in a bunch of different colours. At the time I didn't want to be a guinea pig and try it. I can't find it anymore. 

Thanks, but it's just gold wheel paint from a spray can. I doubt it will last long but wanted to spice it up a bit. Looks the same in regular light as it does in the pictures though.

As for the top hose I had to trim it some more then add a 32mm OD barbed joint which also needed trimming to about 60mm in length. Everything is assembled now and got about 7 liters of coolant in, has sat for a few days with no leaks but again have not started it yet.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just noticed this set on eBay:

$466.44

Might be worth giving it a try.

seller is winner_racing_spares

What do people think?

Looks pretty good to me.

image.thumb.jpeg.fdea855f139c8e617987d7194c95a69d.jpeg

Vehicle Fits

• NISSAN SKYLINE GT-T ER34 RB25DET 1999-2002

Specifications

• Default Color: BLACK
  • We have 13 color options, If you don't leave note, We will ship hose color the first picture shows.Thanks!

· Smooth wipe down finish

· Working temperature: -60 ~ 260 degrees

· Working Pressure: 0.3 to 0.9Mpa

· Bursting Pressure: 2Mpa

· Thickness: 2mm to 5mm

· Size tolerance: +/-0.5mm

· Resistance to UV, water, ozone and oxygen

• Include:  29PIECES, radiator hose ,heater hoses,vacuum hoses,and other ancillary hoses.

Product Information

• Welcome to Winner_Racing_Spares 's store. We supply PREMIUM QUALITY all aluminum radiator and silicone hose kit, oil cooler, intercooler and kit for racing auto and motocross auto bike.
  • We promise that all our products are made of the best materials and advanced manufacture technique. All our products are 100% fully tested to ensure top quality.
  • All manufactured in a brand new state of the art facility with the same manufacturing process that OEM companies use.

We are manufacturer , all shop order, bulk order ,wholesale is welcome. We also make-to-order. Please feel free to ask

1 hour ago, niZmO_Man said:

To me some bits look slightly different. Some hoses might be flipped over. I haven't bought anything from Aliexpress but a bit cheaper.

Anyone tried kits like these on the NEO engine?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The R34 RB25DET NEO set turned up yesterday. Most of the hoses seem ok. Not sure about one of the radiator hoses. Four hoses haven't paired up yet. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6b308415da8afaa3a46e42cff4eb814e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5dfad5ca92c05dd47bb8e844aa697641.jpeg