SAU Community

R32 GTR Front Pipe Question

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Greddy front pipe, definitely no equal length.  Using the best flex ruler in the world - the Ikea paper ruler - long tube measures approx. 76.5 cm and short tube measures approx. 59.5 cm from weld to weld.  Obviously not the most accurate measurements, but I tried staying as close to center line as possible.  Weights about 4.5 kg. 

TxaIQJX.jpg

LTf4lSP.jpg

Feeling a little disappointed that I will be switching from Reimax's equal length to a non-equal length, but for consolation Greddy's outer circumference measures at 22 cm while Reimax's OC measures at 19 cm, that's sizable difference in diameter. 

Adding a site note, not sure how other brands advertise their pipe diameters, but both Greddy and Reimax advertise outer diameter instead of inner diameter. 

Edited by TXSquirrel

The "good" ones advertise both inner and outer, or at least advertise which measurement it is.

The non-branded one I have looks similar to that, but the pipe for the rear turbo is more curved and goes below the other pipe. Which means it hangs lower and got bashed in :(

Reimax also tucks rear turbo pipe under and then curves it out.  I guess that's the only way to create enough length.  And yeah the common problem with that design is hanging lower and getting scratched easily. 

0jSPqs4.jpg

U4NNjZd.jpg

Reason I'm replacing my front pipe is blown gasket, and I think that's due to mismatching turbo elbow to front pipe.  I took some more measurements: Tomei elbow ID is 68mm, old Reimax front pipe ID is 58mm, new GReddy front pipe ID is 66mm.

67rsUue.jpg

I still don't understand why Tomei pretty much is the only brand that doesn't make a front pipe...

Edited by TXSquirrel