SAU Community

Mid life crisis GTR

DD-GTR

Hi

Been reading these boards for a while. Wanted a GTR since I played Gran tourismo 20+ years ago.

I have 3 cars now with the most recent purchase being a Black GTR R33 VSPEC. My mrs doesnt know I bought it because I picked it up after I dropped her to the airport hahaha. She will have a nice suprise when she gets back. I already have a E46 M3 track car and a Evo x road car. 

The GTR has a sheet load of mods. 

FMIC, 4" Exhaust, R34 N1 BB turbos, cams....all the normal fruit.

Anyway looking forward to learn more about these great cars.

Duncan

Perth

• Like 2

Hi Duncan, good job with hiding it from the wife. 

As you already are a car enthusiast with few different vehicles you probably see the design philosophy of each car. The rb series gtrs are definitely more of a special occasion weekend warrior rather than an a to b. Sure you can daily them but they arent as enjoyable in traffic, parking etc. They like the mid to high rpm on the open twisty roads.

Get some seat time and let us know how you feel compared to the beema and evo.

All the best mate

43 minutes ago, Blackgtr said:

Hi Duncan, good job with hiding it from the wife. 

As you already are a car enthusiast with few different vehicles you probably see the design philosophy of each car. The rb series gtrs are definitely more of a special occasion weekend warrior rather than an a to b. Sure you can daily them but they arent as enjoyable in traffic, parking etc. They like the mid to high rpm on the open twisty roads.

Get some seat time and let us know how you feel compared to the beema and evo.

All the best mate

Ye might have to sell one before she gets back. No more room in the garage too. 

They are all great cars. The evo is quite a  good daily as its SST but It has a bad turning circle and limited vision because of large pillars at front. It is really responsive and It has so much grip it is very efforless on track. Just point and shoot. I could see it getting a bit boring on track. I have taken it once so far and it is just as fast as M3, maybe faster with more track time. 

My M3 is a great track car. I have spent quite a lot on it. It makes a great noise, stops well and handles quite well and is very tail happy when pushed. It revs hard and has been quite reliable. It has more top end power than the Evo and its more of a drivers car. Easy to drive as a daily if I take the cage out and put seats back in but not a practical as the Evo.

I think the GTR will take over as my track car as I want more power now and its too costly to increase the power on M3 without forced induction. 

Im getting it tuned, rebuilding the calipers, track pads, new fluids, bushings and coilovers and it should be pretty quick. I think the GTR feels like an event every time I drive it as it makes some great noises and boosting it hard to resist. 

I like all my cars and its going to be hard to sell any one of them but If I had to it would probably be the Evo.

Edited by DD-GTR

On 19/03/2018 at 3:02 PM, DD-GTR said:

Ye might have to sell one before she gets back. No more room in the garage too. 

They are all great cars. The evo is quite a  good daily as its SST but It has a bad turning circle and limited vision because of large pillars at front. It is really responsive and It has so much grip it is very efforless on track. Just point and shoot. I could see it getting a bit boring on track. I have taken it once so far and it is just as fast as M3, maybe faster with more track time. 

My M3 is a great track car. I have spent quite a lot on it. It makes a great noise, stops well and handles quite well and is very tail happy when pushed. It revs hard and has been quite reliable. It has more top end power than the Evo and its more of a drivers car. Easy to drive as a daily if I take the cage out and put seats back in but not a practical as the Evo.

I think the GTR will take over as my track car as I want more power now and its too costly to increase the power on M3 without forced induction. 

Im getting it tuned, rebuilding the calipers, track pads, new fluids, bushings and coilovers and it should be pretty quick. I think the GTR feels like an event every time I drive it as it makes some great noises and boosting it hard to resist. 

I like all my cars and its going to be hard to sell any one of them but If I had to it would probably be the Evo.

While you have your gtr in the shop make sure you do the oil system mods. A head drain or restrictors, a bigger sump with baffles and your good to go. I have some new -9 turbos with new gasket install kit, a blitz front pipe and nismo afms if you are interested. Dont mean to hawk my wares in your thread, just an idea.

How is the auto transmission in your evo, ive always wondered if they are as good as the german stuff.

Is your m3 a manual? I drove an e46 m3 with the paddles and i couldnt get used to it on a short drive; i wonder if they are smooth for cruising and in traffic/carparks

I have an r34 gtr myself and i dont like the turning circle. I wonder if the 32 33 were any better.

1 hour ago, Blackgtr said:

While you have your gtr in the shop make sure you do the oil system mods. A head drain or restrictors, a bigger sump with baffles and your good to go. I have some new -9 turbos with new gasket install kit, a blitz front pipe and nismo afms if you are interested. Dont mean to hawk my wares in your thread, just an idea.

How is the auto transmission in your evo, ive always wondered if they are as good as the german stuff.

Is your m3 a manual? I drove an e46 m3 with the paddles and i couldnt get used to it on a short drive; i wonder if they are smooth for cruising and in traffic/carparks

I have an r34 gtr myself and i dont like the turning circle. I wonder if the 32 33 were any better.

Thanks, I will be sure to get that checked out. I have been reading up on that issue.

Im not upgrading the Turbos yet. But I may do one day. Will see how far the current set up will get me. Its being tuned today and Im hoping to make 400whp or more.

My M3 is SMG and its not the best system on the road but if you let off the accelerator pedal when changing gear its much smoother. It is very good on track and haven't had any issues with it apart from 3rd to 4th 8000RPM shifts can be a little bit glitchy. The sychros cant find the gear quick enough sometimes. I recently bled the system so it might be better next time. If you use s5 mode instead of S6 then that helps or dont flat foot shift 3rd to 4th. I like SMG but might do a manual conversion one day as I have a brand new CAE shifter, lightweight flywheel and clutch in the garage.

The SST trans on the EVO  isnt as good as SMG in some ways because if you have more power than stock it can slip in normal and sport mode. I drive mine in supersport mode with the paddles and gearshifts are very firm fast and precise.The clutchpacks are also very expensive to replace. It would be a lot better if the hackers cracked the TCU software so that it could be improved but nobody has managed it yet.

I havent driven the BMW dual clutch only Smg so cant compare to modern stuff.

Edited by DD-GTR

1 hour ago, Blackgtr said:

Please let us know how your dyno tune went. I think it will make 240awkw.

He is tuning it tomorrow morning now. He said the car is in great condition. No leaks or anything to fix apart from what I knew about. PZP in Perth are good guys. I find that first time you take a car to a place they come up with a long list of things, some of which are debatable.

I have cams, intakes, 4" exhaust, FMIC,  R34 N1 BB turbos will  pushed to 1.4 bar........I expect to make 300wkw 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DD-GTR said:

He is tuning it tomorrow morning now. He said the car is in great condition. No leaks or anything to fix apart from what I knew about. PZP in Perth are good guys. I find that first time you take a car to a place they come up with a long list of things, some of which are debatable.

I have cams, intakes, 4" exhaust, FMIC,  R34 N1 BB turbos will  pushed to 1.4 bar........I expect to make 300wkw 

Always good to find a mechanic who only fixes what needs to be done and charges for their time to do the job; not goofing off for half the time and expecting you to pay. 

Great mods. Definitely 300+awkw. No restriction with 4inch exhaust. 

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

A dozen posts and not a single picture.!......... Time to put one up or it doesn't exist :laugh:

Here we go ?

I want to change the wheels to CE28N and put a oem rear bumper on. I dont like the veilside one.

20180320_192915.png

20180320_192757.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blackgtr said:

Always good to find a mechanic who only fixes what needs to be done and charges for their time to do the job; not goofing off for half the time and expecting you to pay. 

Great mods. Definitely 300+awkw. No restriction with 4inch exhaust. 

True that. The basic principles of business is look after your customers intrests before your own and you will thrive. Most workshops only want your money in my experience.

On 20/03/2018 at 3:44 PM, Blackgtr said:

Please let us know how your dyno tune went. I think it will make 240awkw.

450whp on 2wd dyno. So on 4wd dyno im guessing 410whp going by other peoples experience. 

Only running around 18psi or 1.25bar max boost. He said engine is very healthy and car is in great condition 

Pretty happy with that. It feels pretty quick now.

20180322_181524.jpg

Edited by DD-GTR

28 minutes ago, DD-GTR said:

450whp on 2wd dyno. So on 4wd dyno im guessing 410whp going by other peoples experience. 

Only running around 18psi or 1.25bar max boost. He said engine is very healthy and car is in great condition 

Pretty happy with that. It feels pretty quick now.

20180322_181524.jpg

Very impressive. I know that with modern single turbos, more power can be made but some people enjoy the factory twin turbo sleeper look; im one of them.

Your figure is a perfect number for daily and track days; also the occasional spirited twisties. 

Was there any cam gear adjustment?

• Like 1