SAU Community

Hey everyone, first off this is my first post on this forum. I don't know a whole heap about cars as of yet. I've always serviced and worked on my own old, and breaking down honda CRV, but it's time to move to a proper JDM performance car. I've got the money right now to purchase an R34 GTT, although all R34's for sale are all R34 GT's with swaps left right and center.

Well, I think they are. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an R34 GTT (4 door or coupe) will always have the 3 gauges above the center console right? So thats the first dead giveaway to tell if it's genuine GTT material. And second, something I noticed, is that the rear end is more boxy rather than round with the reverse lights under the park lights.

Anyway, I'm looking to purchase a GTT in Perth. What's the best option? Import or wait for a sale locally?

You can look up the VIN on http://gtr-registry.com/ to confirm.

If you're patient (e.g. willing to wait 1 year), you can get someone like iron chef to look for a nice GT-t.

But, there should be enough R34s floating around, you'll have to be patient either way.

What about buying interstate? You could find a nice, close-to-standard-as-possible one with import papers.

Correct, the gauges are a pretty quick way to see if it's a GT-T or not, however this is also pretty easy for someone to swap into a GT.

The second bits are not as easy, the GT-T also have fork type rear shocks like the R33 GT-R and bigger brakes than the GT model but I'd just check the VIN as mentioned above.

In terms of the tail lights, the 4 door R34 have a different tail light boot and rear bar design to the 2 door. GT/GT-T doesn't matter in this regard.

Not all GTT's have the triple gauge cluster – mine came with the Japan-only Xanavi satnav with the popup lid.

A full GT to GTT swap is quite intensive to do. Look for things like brakes and BMC (GTT units are larger), rear shocks like Jordy stated, also from memory GT's don't come with a rear swaybar stock.

If you want a solid factory GTT 4door buy mine, all you need is a tilt tray for freight :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up picking on up on Saturday locally. Pretty damn stock to say it's a 20 year old car. Just double checked the Japanese model number under the bonnet, and yep I picked up a genuine GTT. The seller did go through that with me on purchase though, I just had no idea that you could check that. Very very happy with the R34, such a nice car to drive, and that turbo spool gets me every time.