SAU Community

EBC vs OEM factory solenoid actuator

Hi, id like to compare and contrast the oem factory boost solenoid versus an aftermarket electronic boost controller; for rb26 mostly but also rb20/25.

My main curiosity is how it regulates boost. An ebc has the ability to control not only a specific psi but also when the gate begins to open, whether early to give a smooth curve or late, for more aggressive curve with a possibility of a spike.

I noticed the factory unit has a plug too, does anyone know what its for? Also, how efficient is it at controlling boost pressure ie: adding an exhaust, owners see an increase in boost pressure.

Is it worthwhile to swap for an EBC if stockish boost levels are desired or will there be a benefit to lag and transient response? 

Regards

Nissan OEM boost control is essentially the same as the VCT.  2 position.  High and low.  On RB25s for example, the turbo's wastegate is good for 5 psi on its own.  When the ECU says you can have high boost, it opens the solenoid, creating a little boost leak and you get 7.  That's it.

A proper EBC is the whole enchilada. And obviously it will improve things.  You have have more boost in 1st gear (when the ECU otherwise says no), you can ramp the boost up faster and you can wind the total boost up to more than 7 but less than R&R.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Nissan OEM boost control is essentially the same as the VCT.  2 position.  High and low.  On RB25s for example, the turbo's wastegate is good for 5 psi on its own.  When the ECU says you can have high boost, it opens the solenoid, creating a little boost leak and you get 7.  That's it.

A proper EBC is the whole enchilada. And obviously it will improve things.  You have have more boost in 1st gear (when the ECU otherwise says no), you can ramp the boost up faster and you can wind the total boost up to more than 7 but less than R&R.

Thanks for the reply mate. How about the rb26? I know that stock boost is around 1bar or just a tad under but i dont think it has a boost by gear. There is a plug too. I assume for power?

Main thing, how does nissan set the boost curve? Does it bleed the gate so there is a smooth curve or open late, producing a spike? 

Also there is that restrictor 'boost mod' how does that work? 

1 hour ago, Blackgtr said:

Thanks for the reply mate. How about the rb26? I know that stock boost is around 1bar or just a tad under but i dont think it has a boost by gear. There is a plug too. I assume for power?

Main thing, how does nissan set the boost curve? Does it bleed the gate so there is a smooth curve or open late, producing a spike? 

Also there is that restrictor 'boost mod' how does that work? 

It's all same same (25/26).  Exactly as I described above.  ECU says "low boost"  Solenoid is closed, wastegate actuator sees all the boost.  ECU says "high boost", solenoid is open, some of the boost is allowed to leak out, wastegate actuator sees less, engine sees more.  The restrictor determines how much boost leaks away when the solenoid is open.  In a 26 it is accessible (it's not accessible on the 25) and if you remove it, the bleed gets larger, the actuator sees less, boost goes up.

And there is no boost by gear.  Like Dose said above, it's rpm dependent.  It's just that you notice it in 1st gear more.

Oh, and all this stuff has been written on here a bazzillion times before, so use google to search on ANY question you may have, and you will likely find the answers already there.

Edited by GTSBoy
  • Like 1