SAU Community

Automatic Transmission Woes

Why hello, 

I should start off by saying i'm doing a manual swap later this year once i've moved, though figured I'd ask around to see if anyone's had a similar issue. 

So I picked up an R33 GTST back in December, and since I've been having some issues with the gearbox (and trouble identifying the issue).

Not knowing how jatco 4 speeds work, i'm a little confused. 

The issues: 
- Extra load on the engine in drive
- Sloppy shifts
- Reverse RARELY works, and when it does I have to rev the tits off it for it to possibly move bakcwards (no hope reversing up a hill)

Now it does still drive fine, and reverse will sometimes work when reversing down a hill, though I can feel a loss of power/loss of torque occasionally, and it regains "continuity" 

I'm more frustrated with the reversing part to be honest... I know people will say replace it, but i'm just lookinhg to see if anyone has a greater idea... 

Diagnosis: 
- Thought the fluid was maybe too low, ended up being too high
- Mechanic told me it's the torque converter - Said that the wrong fluid had been used (had drained a little)
- My other mechanic (tuner I use) mentioned it's probably the gearbox

I have no clue, automatic gearboxes baffle me, but I would assume that if the forward gears still "work", that the torque convertor wouldn't be the soul issue/reason why reverse wouldn't work. 

So my question, does anyone have any expeience with this? It'ssounding like a bcombination of things, but a bunged up solenoid cois what i'm thinking. 

And as far as servicing, i'm unsure if any potential "fixes" are "affordable" or accessible without just ripping the box and convertor out. I'm not keen to rip it out to replace with an autpo box, if i'm doing that i'll just wait until I have all the parts for a manual swap. 

Cheers SAU

Auto trannies are the devil's work.  There are imps and pixies inside that determine if it's going to work or not.

But if there's a possibility of the wrong fluid having been used, then the likely culprits for your problems extend from worn friction material on the clutches to blocked or stuck solenoids and other parts of the valve body.

Best bet is to remove the transmission and put it in the scrap alloy bin.  Park the car up until you're ready to put the manual in it and don't waste your time trying to fix something that never should have been in the car in the first place.

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Auto trannies are the devil's work.  There are imps and pixies inside that determine if it's going to work or not.

But if there's a possibility of the wrong fluid having been used, then the likely culprits for your problems extend from worn friction material on the clutches to blocked or stuck solenoids and other parts of the valve body.

Best bet is to remove the transmission and put it in the scrap alloy bin.  Park the car up until you're ready to put the manual in it and don't waste your time trying to fix something that never should have been in the car in the first place.

I'm glad we think alike.. 

I was looking to get paint done next, though I feel like I'm sick of doing the hokey pokey every time I want to reverse, so might just focus on this first (while saving for an engagement ring)