SAU Community

Newbie needs informations about 260RS and GTR

Marcus 1990

Hi, my Name is Marcus I´m 28 Years old and come from Germany.I hope my English is understandable i try my best. I need some Help and informations about the Stagea 260 RS and the Skyline R33 GTR. I´m interested to Buy one of these cars later that Year but i can`t decide wich one. Both cars a rare i´ve seen some Skylines had little Talks about it but no one here knows  the Stagea especially the Autech Version wich i find so interessting. The guy who import these cars says that the Stagea is a Family car and drives like a Boat but he didn`t really know what the Autech version is. I read a lot in the Last few Weeks and knew that these Cars have a different Suspension with Double Wishbones, sway bars etc. He had a lot of GTR`s and i fell in love with these cars but there is this feeling wich tells me you should get a Stagea. I alerady have a few old cars like a Audi S6 Plus Avant. I completely rebuild it is a heavy car  but the Body is really stiff I added some Bilstein suspension and you really feel that the car dosent have much Body roll or a Boaty feel. Sure its not a Sports car but it dosent feel like a normal Wagon.I hope that you guys  can give me some Help and  tell me something about the actual differences beetwen  the Handling of these cars im sure that the Skyline is more Handy because its lower but is the Stagea that Bad? I already thank you.

The R33 GTR is an excellent car, but is already on its way to being a big, heavy boat.  The Stageas are far more like ocean liners.  They are long and heavy.  They are dull and slow compared to Skylines with the same driveline.  The Autech 260RS is the best of them, but it is no GTR.

Both can be mechanical heartbreakers.  They are getting quite old and have a lot of gear in them that costs $$ to fix.  Both need to be modified on top of what they offer stock to be considered fast these days.  And then you open up a huge can of worms with needing to upgrade the ATESSA transfer case, fitting front diff upgrades, pissing off the twin turbos (and therefore replacing the entire hot side of the engine).  I'm just saying you need X thousand $$ to buy, another X thousand to make sure it's good and can easily spend another X thousand on mods.

Would I have an R33 GTR?  No, not if I could get a good R32 or an R34.  The R33 is a big ugly whale compared to the others.  But if someone forced me to have one instead of a 32 or 33, I wouldn't be that unhappy.

Would I have a Stagea?  No.  Not on your nelly.  Not unless I was in need of a big ugly wagon.  To much fuel consumption, expensive maintenance and all the other things that come with Skyline ownership without enough of the benefits of Skyline ownership (being able to really enjoy driving the car fast in the hills).  Does that extend to a 260RS?  I think so.  I think the fact that it is a GTR underneath that massive body just makes it worse.

You live in the land of fast Audi/BMW/Merc wagons.  I dislike most Euro cars and would take an Audi V8 wagon over a 260RS in a second.  There's no need to be different (rare) when it's not better.

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply , I`m searching a Car wich has more mileage or needs to be repaired, i want to modify the Car my goal is between 550-600HP. I know that this costs a lot of Money but the Parts wich I dont need OEM are far less expensive as the Parts for my Audi and that Suprises me because I Work as a Mechanic by VAG and get the Parts for the Purchasing and not the Customer Price. Because of the Duty and Taxes and the case that i want to modify it for my opinoin, it`s better to get a Car wich need some Repairs instead of a Perfect one. Please tell me your opinion about it. To this day i only got N/A cars except my Corrado G60 and now i want a Turbocharged Car. I`ts not really about the Rareness of a Car it`s my Personal Taste i dont want that Car to show off or be the cool dude with a Skyline or Stagea.  I got a few Cars wich are not outstanding and thats what interested me in the Stagea because in Germany nearly no one knows it wich means for me you can get some Groceries or Refill it at the  Gas-Station without 5 People standing around you and looking after the Car. But when it`s really that Heavy and Boaty I should look after a R33 GTR. Could you tell me the Problems with the Atessa Transfer  Case? The cheapest thing for me in Germany is a S4 B5 2,7 Bi-Turbo you could Put on some Upgrade Turbos Injectors etc and get 450-500HP these cars a really Cheap at the moment you can get a lot of these Cars for less than 4000 Euros, but I hate the look of these Cars and yes,  I´m aware that i like the weird looking Stagea Autech.Do you have some experience with Blobeye Impreza STI`s or Forester STI´s and can tell something about it?

There is a lightweight version of the Impreza STI which is very fast and agile from stock. Both the Impreza and Mitsubishi Evo will be much more non- boatlike than R33 or Stagea.