SAU Community

GTR 600KW clutch

Hey guys, I've been trying to find some solid answers and trying searching but answers to vary. I'm needing a clutch to handle 600kw @ the wheels with street driving being the #1 priority. From the forums I've seem Jim Berry seem to be popular but I can't find any contact info him, Me being from Canada I would need to email or maybe a facebook page. I've also read decent things about NPC.

Anyways looking for some recommendations on what clutches you guys are running with 600+ kw that are some what friendly on the street.

Mate I’m in the same boat as you, I called around a few places (in Australia) and my experience is, I found Direct Clutch service in Queensland to be the best to deal with, they took time to talk to me about what I wanted and what I was going to use the car for and then gave me a couple of options on clutch and explained to me the difference between the clutches they recommended.
Look them up, you should be able to email them.

Mate I’m in the same boat as you, I called around a few places (in Australia) and my experience is, I found Direct Clutch service in Queensland to be the best to deal with, they took time to talk to me about what I wanted and what I was going to use the car for and then gave me a couple of options on clutch and explained to me the difference between the clutches they recommended.
Look them up, you should be able to email them.
I was also reading about them! I seen they had a few different options online. Which one did you end up going with?

I called around when I was chasing a 500kw clutch, direct and NPC were very helpful but pricing is pretty high. Ended up with an ATS carbon twin for a good price which drives suuuuper nice and shifts really quick due to such light plates (200g each). I'd recommend their triple for 600kw if you're not going to drag launch it much, otherwise one of the Aussie options will cop a beating for drag  applications. Lots of DCS/npc clutches in big power cars.

Edited by burn4005

2 hours ago, burn4005 said:

I called around when I was chasing a 500kw clutch, direct and NPC were very helpful but pricing is pretty high. Ended up with an ATS carbon twin for a good price which drives suuuuper nice and shifts really quick due to such light plates (200g each). I'd recommend their triple for 600kw if you're not going to drag launch it much, otherwise one of the Aussie options will cop a beating for drag  applications. Lots of DCS/npc clutches in big power cars.

Thanks for the reply, I got a-hold of DCS/ NPS both very knowledgeable but also share different opinions in some aspects. I think I will go with the DCS but there clutch is un-sprung so I imagine it will chatter quite a bit. How is the ATS twin for chatter when you disengage the clutch?

I came from a coppermix which has separation springs and clutch straps for the centre plates so it was silent, but definately won't hold 600kw. the straps become a weak point on really high power cars so you won't find them on 600kw clutches.

the ATS definitely jingles and chatters with the clutch pressed, its a lot quieter than the bnr34 getrag rattle though. main benefit is it is super smooth engagement even with a solid un-sprung centre. but if you drag launch them badly the carbon plates transfer a shitload of heat to the metal floaters and warp them.

not sure how it compares to the DCS/NPC ones volume wise. at 600kw any clutch is going to be of a construction that have chattering floating plates.

Edited by burn4005

I was also reading about them! I seen they had a few different options online. Which one did you end up going with?

I haven’t bought yet but I like the sounds of their street clutch, I want the car to drive nice and I don’t intend on limiter launching.

Os giken triple plate 

whoever says they are hard to drive needs to grow a set, found it better or smoother and lighter then my previous direct clutches billet twin plate 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had an Os giken triple plate  for a fair number of years. Not difficult at all, although takes a few starts/stops to get used to it on day 1. Then it rattles when clutch in like any heavy duty multi plate clutch does when stationary. Know the take up point and all is sweet.