SAU Community

M35 350Z / Z33 Brembo Upgrade

Ryugen

Hi all, been trawling through pages and pages and I can't find answers to all of my questions so I'm hoping to get some help in this thread.

Background, I have a 2002 M35 Autech Axis that is due for a brake change (front pads and rotors are gone). I've managed to find a set of 350Z Brembos (cause why replace when you can upgrade) for a decent price and am just trying to get some more information before making the jump. From my digging, this is what I've found:

• Should be a direct bolt on however R34 GTT threads mention modification to the dust fan / bolt but unsure if the Brembos will face the same problems
  • Information points to that the 18" Autech wheels might not fit but can't find confirmation
  • Have seen no mention to the upgrade affecting ABS
  • #justdoit

What I wanted to know are the following:

• How bolt on is bolt on? Will the same changes need to done as per the R34 GTTs? Is there a guide somewhere specific to the Brembos?
  • The kit comes with calipers, rotors and lines. Will that be all I need besides the pads?
  • Anyone to confirm the 18" Autech wheels will/won't fit the Brembos

Thanks!

- Yang

• 2 weeks later...

Yang,

Straight install with the only modification being removing the outer lip on the rear backing plates to fit the rotors.

I've got them installed on my 2001 NM35 250T RS 4.

Also, you may need spacers for the front depending on the offset of the wheels. I had +38mm offset Yokohama AVS 18"x8" rims fitted to mine so needed spaces to avoid hitting the caliper. Now I've got 19"x9.5" rims so not needed. I still have the 5mm spacers.

Russel

Hey Russel, thank you so much for the reply much appreciated. Good to see it's a straight forward change. Judging from your wheel history I will probably need to invest in some spacers. The Autech rims are 18 x 8 +30.

Oh, I have it the other way...woops thank you for the clarification. Can't wait to get rid of the crappy oem brakes. All in the name of making the family wagon safe!....is what I tell the missus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 1:32 PM, Ryugen said:

...Can't wait to get rid of the crappy oem brakes. All in the name of making the family wagon safe!....is what I tell the missus.

Have you got them on yet mate? I'm looking to put Z Brembos on my M35 too.

On 5/1/2018 at 3:41 PM, RS_Wags said:

Have you got them on yet mate? I'm looking to put Z Brembos on my M35 too.

Hey, yeah I had them fitted last weekend. They are as bolt on as they are going to get. I got calipers + 350z lines + bolts and they all went in as you'd expect. The biggest pain was the wheels. The 18" AXIS wheels on the front don't clear the calipers. We did a big run around trying to source spacers. 5mm worked great and leaves about 1mm clearance sooo super tight. YMMV with other wheels. Rear wheels cleared with room the spare.

Only "adjustment" we had to do was cutting and bending the rear dust protectors.

All up calipers + new rotors + new Brembo pads cost me about $1,650ish

Hope that helps!

I would avoid slip-on spacers like the plague! 

You lose 5mm of lug thread and also shift more weight from the centre bore on to the lugs themselves.

And assuming WA laws are the same as everywhere, they're most likely illegal.

19 hours ago, NicPM35 said:

I would avoid slip-on spacers like the plague! 

You lose 5mm of lug thread and also shift more weight from the centre bore on to the lugs themselves.

And assuming WA laws are the same as everywhere, they're most likely illegal.

16 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

^^^ what he said. Get some 10mm hubcentric bolt on spacers.

Oh 100%, I've got hubcentrics coming in but the 5mm slip ons were the only ones we could find same day that would allow me to drive home.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:49 PM, Ryugen said:

Hey, yeah I had them fitted last weekend. They are as bolt on as they are going to get. I got calipers + 350z lines + bolts and they all went in as you'd expect. The biggest pain was the wheels. The 18" AXIS wheels on the front don't clear the calipers. We did a big run around trying to source spacers. 5mm worked great and leaves about 1mm clearance sooo super tight. YMMV with other wheels. Rear wheels cleared with room the spare.

Only "adjustment" we had to do was cutting and bending the rear dust protectors.

All up calipers + new rotors + new Brembo pads cost me about $1,650ish

Hope that helps!

Thanks man!