SAU Community

Vin/compliance info needed

Hi guys, 

Im currently looking a a car to purchase however it does not can an Australian vin number plate (the long rectangular stamped alloy one), however it has the blue japanese compliance plate. 

Can the car be registered on the road in Melbourne if it does not have this australian vin tag?

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by [email protected]
Tests

You need to obtain a copy of the import papers from DOTARS. There are multiple schemes that a car can be imported under and from memory the old 15 year old scheme which became the 1988 scheme which is becoming the 30 year scheme did not require an australian plate.

Is the car currently registered in the state you need?

10 hours ago, [email protected] said:

however it does not can an Australian vin number plate (the long rectangular stamped alloy one)

Usually grey imports have an Australian "stick-on" compliance label, that is attached when it is brought into the country and complied. The original Japanese blue VIN plate is also left attached. Have a closer look (in the door frames is common) for this compliance sticker - if it's registered it's likely to have one somewhere.

So i have done a PPSR and DIRD check and have also gone to inspect the car. Numbers on both reports match up, it was complied and registered in Victoria once before. It is not currently registered though.

However when i went to inspect that car, he only plate/ sticker i could find is the Japanese VIN plate. As the car has been resprayed i could not find anything else in the door jams and further more the Australian VIN (starting with 6u9000) Was engraved in the strut tower, not stamped and riveted on a plate like most ive seen. 

If it has import paperwork but no import sticker it would still be able to be registered correct?

I don't think anyone here can guarantee the car can be registered....There is some risk that re-registering will have requirements you can't meet.

But I can say that my rally import car has the vin stamped with punches onto the strut tower sheet metal. The main checks are the number engraved on the strut tower matches the rego papers, and the japanese vin matches the import papers.