SAU Community

Rust repairs

Lozzzah

So my engine blew up, so for the time being I got a rolling body ?. So while I have the chance I want to do some rust and interior repairs...

Is it worth remvoving all the rust from the big bar that’s behind the dash and steering column and then re-spraying it with new silver zink spray or am I going into a rabbit hole which is going to be difficult to come out of?

If it is worth it and I’m going to do it, does anyone have any advice for me?

Cheers in advance

D21981BE-6529-4D40-A38D-49A987567AAE.jpeg

718D487B-D3E8-46C3-829E-26B234DAC433.jpeg

Edited by Lozzzah

I'd just hand rub it with some emery, clean it up, get rid of the loose stuff, then use a good quality rust paint like galmet and top coat with a normal paint.  I'd avoid Killrust, cos it tends to flake off over time, takes a few years, but always seems to do it, which is unfortunate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tridentt150v said:

I'd just hand rub it with some emery, clean it up, get rid of the loose stuff, then use a good quality rust paint like galmet and top coat with a normal paint.  I'd avoid Killrust, cos it tends to flake off over time, takes a few years, but always seems to do it, which is unfortunate.

What would be the best way to tackle the rust on the steering colum that’s hard to get to? Should I take it apart?