SAU Community

Help needed, S15 subframe into BNR32 chassis

Sooo, I hope someone of you have done this and can give me some advice.

The R32 subframe got 4 bolts for the front of the rear diff, will probably just move the R32 part over to the S15 subframe (cut and weld).

But how about the other reinforcement in front of the R32 front bushes? And the overall feeling is that the R32 subframe looks stronger.

Any thoughts and advices, let me have them :)

DSC_0345.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

DSC_0349.JPG

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

I haven't heard of any of the steel subframes cracking. Later aluminium ones like M35 stagea do. I don't know anything about the S series ones

Also the setup for the diff nose was changed between r32 vs r33/34 and no longer had the 4 bolts and extra support; nissan obviously thought the extra weight was not required.

One thing to consider is the lower arm mounting points were also moved between 32 vs 33/34 to improve handling. S14 may also have the better geometery

5 minutes ago, Duncan said:

...Also the setup for the diff nose was changed between r32 vs r33/34...

Oh, so that's why! Guess I will be good to go without the lower support then, just shorter bolts (grade 8.8 or what I can find on the "good" shelf at the local hardware store). If anyone is of any other opinion, let me know before I get it powdercoated this weekend :)

Also might have figured out the front supports, those seem to be for counterweights on non gtr 32's (according to nissan fast).

Some conclusions comparing BNR32 and S15 subframe;

• Lower arm position updated
  • Reduced weight, diff bolts straight to subframe
  • No mount for vibration dampers on the front end (non GTR)
  • ±No HICAS
  • R32 camber arm has to be reused
  • Offset bushes are needed

I thought I would save time by buying a new subframe, prepare it and then just switch over a weekend, fooled myself again! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got front and rear subframe powdercoated, ordered every hardrace bushing that would fit, the 20th of april, but guess the joke's on me since there was a mixup and I'm still waiting. 

Had to get some nismo items too, and ended up with gktech conversion bushes (poly) for the actual subframe. 

Looking forward to see if I notice any difference in the end, this has made me realize how I hate waiting! 

Let me know if you want any more update on this

DSC_0381.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 8:38 AM, KiwiRS4T said:

Looks flash! Let us know how it works out in practice.

I found a lot of lovely rust, even more than expected, and my new crank got lost during shipping with no refund possible for some months :mad:

Sooo, it will take some time (personal goal, summer 2019). Also found out that the car most likely has been in a crash and repaired, not too satisfied with the welding I've found and will do it properly.

Might do a full seamweld while I'm at it, pretty much down to a bare shell instead of assembling right now! Consider this thread delayed but not forgotten

DSC_0438.JPG

Edited by K_arlstrom