SAU Community

R32 Ambient temp sensor

Hi guys,

I just purchased a modified R32 GTR and have a few little things to fix on it.

Aircon isn't working and ambient temp reads -30 degrees on the digital display so the outside temp/ambient temp sensor is not working or disconnected. When running through diagnostics I also get a fault code for that sensor (21 from memory)

From my research this sensor was originally located on the stock thermo fan under the bonnet latch. This car has aftermarket rad, thermo fan and big front mount. For the life of me I cant find the temp sensor. Maybe its been relocated  or removed.

How do I trick the climate control system into thinking its +30 degrees out side. Can I splice a resistor into the harness behind the dash? If so how? Which wires?

Thanks heaps, Luke

You know, the wiring diagrams for the R32 GTR have been available in the workshop manual on-line for about 20 years.

The temp sensor is almost certainly a thermistor.  So why don't you grab a decade box, some wires and the wiring diagram and start plugging different resistance values (starting high) into the air-con box until you get what you need?  If you go a little further you could work out more than one point on the T-R curve and work out what sort of thermistor you would need to replace the missing one so the air-con works properly.