SAU Community

Rear wheel/half shaft cv movement?

dyl33

46 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

I reckon you should take the wheels off and replace all the broken and worn out bits.

3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

^ This.

Awesome, do you think the half shaft cv is where the broken and worn out bits will be

16 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Shafts are piss easy.  Fall out from the inside.  Hubs/splines are obviously much more trouble.  You need to dismantle all this to find out what is wrong with it before you go buying stuff though.

Ok cool figers crossed its just the shafts.

3 hours ago, hardsteppa said:

Having had  the same movement, i rebuilt the cv's, replaced bearings, new bushes, new diff centre with perfect backlash...i still have the same movement.  However..images.jpeg.8136256e0d9e64410795ed90d9daa444.jpeg

For real?  hope i dont play that game

I learnt from gts boy and stepper and did sfa and noticed no difference. Car drives fine with that type of movement, even at 240+ km/h. My advice is leave it alone unless the wheel is going in/out from bearing wear, that would require attention.

ok now watched the video...looked normal to me. Diffs don't have zero backlash, they have a small amount for a very good reason, which is visible as a bit of turn in the driveshaft like that, when not under load.

the 5 bolt driveshafts on the r33 gtst use a 5-ball cv joint in both the inner and outer, which for most purposes is as strong as fk, there's nothing in there to ' break' really, only wear a groove at best, unlike the 3x2 bolt shafts which I believe use a 3x ball bearing race on the inner. I rebuilt a spare set of shafts and they had exactly the same movementousness as my old ones, which when pulled apart had no visible wear. 

What I am getting at is if you're not having any ' issue' as such, the bit of movement like that is unlikely to be any concern.