SAU Community

Front end protection

Hi all,

I did a search and read up on the options around, plenty of recommendations on SAU but very few 1st hand experiences.......I presently have a car bra, but am looking to see if there is something better [aren't we all].

Is anyone able to give longer term first hand experience on any of the options that protect the front of your car from bugs and stone chips etc?

I am sort of happy with my car bra - and yes it does rub, but you can't see it once you put the bra on :) .  It is always a pain putting the bra on and taking it off plus once on you can't open the bonnet....plus the clear sections scratch the headlights [so I have to use removable film and replace this every few months as well]. 

So far I have looked at:

• car bra - cheap and nasty but does the job at sub $500
  • plastic wrap - not sure on its effectiveness for stone chips plus it is not as permanent, I think you have to frequently renew it
  • vinyl wrap - expensive but seems to work
  • DIY spray on rubbery cover - but I think this is more of a temporary thing
  • plasticoat - seems Ok but would be very expensive.

So am open to trying a new alternative IF IT IS EFFECTIVE.

There are specific clear plastic products exactly for this.  The same film you see on new cars in spots likely to cop stones, like just in front of the rear wheel arches, trailing edge of back door, etc.

They're still a compromise.  The car looks different/wrong with it spread all across the front.

by car bra are you meaning this sort of thing?

carbra.jpg.1d524a82b19876f44fb59800e6375321.jpg

each to their own of course; I've never understood it myself. Making sure your car looks good for that special occasion in the future by making it look shit every day until then. 

Just budget for a paint touch up in the future if it does get significantly damaged/aged?

Mate when you drive in the country your car gets sandblasted [the edges of the road are just dirt and fine sand that every semi blows up] and covered in bugs [grasshoppers, moths, midges etc] so much that the paint ceases to show through.

And btw my sig has a pic of my Skyline with a bra on it.

Was thinking of the vinyl wrap and clear wrap....but what happens when you want to remove and renew in a few years time???

Is it just a big sticky mess, does it take the paint off as well, or is it an easy thing?

And it is expensive plus I have to travel and stay ...which adds to the expense.

But I agree, the end results look amazing.