SAU Community

Keep building or buy something better?

No Crust Racing

Not quite.

Decently powerful CA is also going to shit the box so Z32 or RB25 is expected either way, diff we'll wait and see.

Faster car regardless of engine warrants bigger brakes and better tyres (so larger rims and 5 stud swap).

Those things happen either way.

An engine build, CA or SR is actually around the same money using the same basic forged parts and new OEM things. Might as well go the newer, more torquey platform with better support.

Thanks and bye :)

On people airing their opinions, that's OK if they are on topic but can be quite annoying when posters air opinions that in reality are what they would like or prefer and have nothing to do with the OP. It also helps some people when trying to make a decision to write down their thoughts, relevant responses help in that process.

Only comment I have is not to forget to check things like can your present box type can be upgraded, same with the brakes eg better cooling, better pads, better calipers, etc. You have a low weight advantage that is quickly going to be lost if heavier bits like a 32 box are fitted. There is something to be said for optimising what you already have, it's the package that's important, maximum performance with minimum weight.

Of course optimising what you already have will cost you more and thoroughly investigating weight and cost is part of that process. What I find is that most don't do this thoroughly but instead take the easy well known option which is not always the best. Let's take brakes. Have you searched every option available? There are online sources such as Ceika who offer a wide range of kits, their stuff looks to be good quality but I have not used mine yet. Their downside is that the adapters are made of steel and can be heavy depending on how big they are.

At least you choice is clear, optimising what you have or go with a heavier more powerful car that may or may not be faster, depending on the circuit. On the subject of circuits, go to as many different ones as possible. How about Bathurst in November?

I tend to just look at the cost effective options.

I could buy a new big brake fit, but Brembo calipers and rotors from an Evo or GTR will be much cheaper and on a light car fairly effective.

Gearbox can get away from you, tti would be nice but at 8-9k, the z32 box is a third of the cost.

Basically you can't afford what is needed, this is probably why some commentators get frustrated. There are heaps of things that you could do like big wide wheels, MCA suspension but if it all comes down to the $ then it gets to be a personal thing. You just can't expect to compete with the $ cars, what you can do is keep tweaking what you have and enjoy the challenge of different circuits. Race against yourself, you can always do better.

The hardest thing I've found is accepting that in spending money on a race car means basically saying goodbye to it. That's OK when it's just a few dolla, it's the big chunks that hurt but if those big chunks work then over time then I'm pleased with making the right choice. It's usually when I've tried to compromise that mistakes are made. My philosophy is if the money is spare then spend it, if motorsport really is your thing then do it while you can.

One example for you, go five stud and get a really good aftermarket brake kit, two piece floating rotors, the lot. You S chassis people are spoilt for choice.

• Like 1

Appreciate the time and thoughtful responses.

This thread has been good, Also had a chat with the missus, who tolerates and understands my little eccentricities.

I think I'll keep developing this chassis.

I want to do certain things my way and I already know all the ins and outs of this setup. It might cost a little more, but it will be done how I want it plus I'll get to try a few ideas I have that are best done during build phase.