SAU Community

coolant leak r33 gtst

Mick

hey i have a coolant leak, only leaks a little cos the level bately drops but its noticeable, can someone show me a photo of this side on there car pleaseIMG_1525577884.870085.jpg

thankyou so much for taking that photo i really appreciate it, after examining it some more i noticed its cracked at the base of the filler neck on both sides, so are the top tanks replaceable or is it possible to grind a channel into the crack and fill it with a special glue, i mention this cos i remember seeing some glue and powder repair kit and on the video for it they show repairing a huge crack and they filled it with that stuff, you put some powder in and then some glue and it soaks in and then you add more powder and glue again and keep building it up, so has anyone done this or know anything about that?

You cannot repair them mate, if top tanks are available i've never seen one, I plastic weld with a Lister, but never radiators or fuel tanks. All those epoxy based filler glues are snake oil they don't work. If moneys a bit short grab a second hand one plenty of options in the big city There are even cheap all aluminium ones although take a good look at the welds some look a bit work experience.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for everyones replies, i was wondering if anyone can tell me what is supposed to be screwed into this bolt hole that i noticed, i marked it in blue
IMG_4133.jpg

this is where its cracked on the base of the filler neck, so does anyone think using a proper plastic radiator repair glue they sell at auto stores will work on it?
As you can see it has a crack that i can see on each side of the neck but i dont know if thry are 2 seperate cracks on each side or if its one long continuous crack

IMG_4032.jpgIMG_4028.jpg

i thought about getting a secondhand one but was worried that most of them probably have been laying in a backyard and not had the openings blocked up and the core is probably full of spiders and rust and god knows what.
I also thought since the crack is just on the neck that it might be ok to repair

Hey Mick I took the photo for you and explained that the crap they sell to fix them does not work, and wishing it will is for the fairies,  Get a second hand one or ebay alloy and be done with it. Asking the same question over and over will not fix it.

On 5/6/2018 at 8:00 PM, Rusty Nuts said:

You cannot repair them mate, if top tanks are available i've never seen one, I plastic weld with a Leister, but never radiators or fuel tanks. All those epoxy based filler glues are snake oil they don't work. If moneys a bit short grab a second hand one plenty of options in the big city There are even cheap all aluminium ones although take a good look at the welds some look a bit work experience.

If you dont know how to flush your coolant system, your friendly local rad shop will flush a second hand one for you for peanuts, I always laugh when someone says " I have a little coolant leak", its the same as saying your girlfriend is a little bit pregnant, both are gonna get bigger

if you actually read you will see that i only reposted the photo to ask what the bolt hole was for.

Then after posting photos of where the crack is and what it looks like i so people could get a better idea of how bad it is i then asked if anyone thought the proper plastic radiator glue would work.
I dont see anything wrong with doing that at all

i found a few radiator around but they are for a manual and i have an auto unfortunately, but i will keep looking, thanks everyone for your replies

Then after posting photos of where the crack is and what it looks like i so people could get a better idea of how bad it is i then asked if anyone thought the proper plastic radiator glue would work.
I dont see anything wrong with doing that at all

Mick, there is no such thing as proper plastic radiator glue, radiator plastic tanks are usually ABS and can be originally made from material made by Monsanto, Dow chemicals or a japanese/chinese Manufacturer and are difficult to WELD because of this, they have also been subjected to hundreds of hours of heat and fumes which alters their composition, flexibility etc. Hence why even welding is unreliable, their is NO glue that will fix them, you have all the answers mate, and no answers say use this glue its awesome, because they dont work. Bite the bullet and buy another radiator mate, over and out.

1 hour ago, Mick said:

if you actually read you will see that i only reposted the photo to ask what the bolt hole was for.

I took the photo you requested Mick, in your ORIGINAL post 13 days ago and I did not and i have not referred to your repost. Suggest you reread the thread. I have.