SAU Community

Driving car after new mods and map advice

Hi

my current power F.C. map is for a basic setup including a hks2530 on a rb25 neo. Was mapped to 1.3 bar with usual supporting mods, intercooler, r35 injectors, stock afm etc etc. with a conservative road map

the car is away at my mechanics getting a new setup fitted, gtx3076 gen2, 6 boost top mount, turbosmart external gate, stock plenum remains in place. 

I will plug the standard afm back in, would this be ok to limp back to my home with keeping below 2500rpm and no heavy throttle?

i will map it from home with a friend and change to a z32 afm then

Next part of my topic

its a unopened neo run on 98 ron. Not after lots of power, about 1.4 bar max would be my intended boost, would that be safe enough? I don’t want to risk the engine to much

few pics of the fabricators work, I know i expect to hear should have ditched the plenum and throttle body and stuff, but at the lower power goal at this stage it will be fine, next year I may add a head gasket and studs etc, at that point I’ll privably change the plenum 

2567AD75-D1B8-4DF1-BBA0-93AADD446169.thumb.jpeg.3e285a2a1b22ea785b177497013a9de0.jpeg

72A096C2-CD48-40E5-A2B2-9CE72C5FC98B.thumb.jpeg.d8717cad3c0fdde3ec36b906cef9acad.jpeg

thanks all

Lovely fab work :)

Boost doesn't kill motors, just keep the timing pretty sedate near peak torque and you could run close to 2 bar without it going bang on a NEO.

FWIW, I did 1.8bar into a non-NEO motor and abused it on the track for ages till it lunched itself, however it had barely any timing in it in the mid range.

Lastly, I would ditch the Z32 and run a HPX N1 card AFM as it doesn't suffer from reversion like the Z32 does.

Cool boys, thanks for that

its a road car so reliability is the thing I’m after not every last horse from the engine.

first thing when home is to check base timing is correct, it’s me and a friend tuning it, he’s quite clued in but the z32 will be easiest for us as it’s directly supported by the power F.C.  

I’m not familiar and I did try do some research about a r35afm before but it was not as straight forward as I would have liked. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok chaps the car is home, super

can anyone tell me, if I swap the z32 in (and what wires I need to join) and reselect z32 in the power F.C. hand commander, will the car still drive again or will it certainly need mapped again even for light car moving ? 

Should drive fine.  That's the whole point of having the curves for the different AFMs ready to go.  but it will need to be tuned before you put any significant load on it, because it will not be right enough.

As to the wires.....google is your friend.  There would have to be thousands of posts on the topic just on this forum alone.

• Thanks 1

You need to look at stronger valve springs at those boost levels.  That's about the only hardware that really needs attention assuming the tune is right.   

As for driving before tune.  If you have the same injectors and AFM then it should run fine under vacuum and very low boost (1 or 2psi) .