• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Sign in to follow this  
Tomzern

My big bore RB22,6. Need help planning my setup

Hi!

So I bought a couple of RB's recently. First I bought one, which turned out to be in a worse state than I anticipated. I contacted the seller, and he had another RB20 which he called a "stroker". He kindly GAVE me this engine as well, so now I have two for the cheap price of one! 

The "stroker" engine is now opened for inspection, and what I found was 83mm forged pistons, stock crank and rods. An engine calculator translated this to 2,26L of displacement.

The head featured what I think is Tomei cams with adjustable Tomei pulleys. The cams are stamped "64 - 8.5" at the rear ends, and they both have a white T written on them. I believe this means they are 264's with 8.5mm lift. Can anyone verify this?

The big bore engine also came with a HKS dual plate clutch. The other one came with a single plate ACT clutch. Which one should I use on my engine? The car is a street car and I want a clutch that is not too harsh. 

As for the power output I am hoping to be able to run around 300rwkw, but in the start I will use the stock RB25 turbo that came with the other engine. 

I also wonder where I can find an 83mm bore MLS head gasket for my engine?

As for engine management system, I have a cheap AEM Series 2 PnP ECU on hand. Is this a good choice?

And oh, the engine is going into my 1970 Datsun 240Z, along with a stock RB20 tranny.

There will probably be more questions later, so I thought it was a good idea to collect them all in this thread :P

Best regards,

Tomzern

20 minutes ago, WantGTR said:

Scrap everything and buy an rb25

Not an option. Thanks for your help though🙄

12 hours ago, Tomzern said:

I am hoping to be able to run around 300rwkw,

12 hours ago, Tomzern said:

along with a stock RB20 tranny

This may be a problem.

You really need the big box RB25 Gearbox as the RB20 one won't last long with 300kw. What box is in the Z?

I thought the gearbox might be to weak for those power figures myself😅

What is the maximum safe HP/NM that the RB20 box can handle? 

In the beginning I will run this setup with a stock RB25 turbo, so the power output won't be that high. I am hoping the stock tranny will work with the initial setup.

If I decide to upgrade later, will the driveshaft fit the RB25 box as well?

The box that is in the Z now, is a much older 5-speed Z-box.

Here's a source of gearbox information:

https://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress/2016-06-07/240z-transmissions-manuals-swap-possibillities/