SAU Community

Manual radiator in auto

Mick

hey i have done alot of reading here already but im still confused, i wanted to install an alloy radiator that is for a manual into my r33 gtst s2 auto, the car already has a stock oil cooler and i thought i could put the manual radiator in it and simply replace the stock oil cooler with an upgraded one but then i was doing research some people said its ok and some said it wouldn’t be good cos it would make it to cold and the auto wont preform properly cos they said the radiator cooling section for the auto helps get the oil to operational temperature. That sounds confusing to me, are they trying to say it warms it back up a little or that it warms or cools it depending on the oil temperature at the time, so as if it normalizes it or something. Maybe im overthinking it but i just thought i would as your opinions, and maybe hear from someone who has actually put a manual one in there auto and can tell me what they done exactly

Auto tranny cooling loop in rad tank does 2 things.  1, it helps too warm the oil up from cold.  2, it transfers tranny heat to the coolant & out to the atmosphere when it's hot.

If you have a stock auto cooler in place, don't change anything.

thankyou that explains it nicely, so what about my question about putting a manual radiator in, cos my radiator is cracked so i need to put a new one in and i can only find manual radiators around in my area, so do you think an auto car can use a manual one if i put a better oil cooler on it than the stock one that’s already on it?

If you have a short trip to work your gearbox may not work properly if you don't have an auto radiator. Why do you want an aftermarket one? Do you have overheating problems?

i have a crack on the base of the filler neck on the stock one, i looked around and found a few cheap alloy ones not too far away but they are for a manual.
I looked on ebay and at first only manual ones came up but i just managed to find auto ones just a moment ago, one from a place called melbourne hi cooling, and another called worley, i dont know if they are any good or not but im thinking about ordering one of them.

they are pretty much the same price of plastic tank ones on ebay so i may as well go for an alloy one. Not for performance benefits or anything, just cos its alloy so i assume it will be stronger and last longer