SAU Community

CDDB update via internet

I have used the import/export functions to update the CDDB information after loading a CD into Music Box,  this is a fairly simple process, but I see there are menu options for updating the CDDB data over the internet.

Does anybody know how I can get the car connected to the internet?

Can I create a wifi hotspot on my phone and connect via that, or can the car connect to the internet through Bluetooth?

Or is the internet connection one of those proprietary things that only work in Japan in conjunction with Carwings etc?

-- 

2010 370GT coupe

• 2 weeks later...

No internet connection available for our AV systems dude. That's just the way it is.

While I'm not inspired by CDDB for anything, I'm actually building my own navigation and music source in a little Gigabyte i7 NUC (hand-sized mini computer), which will have a Garmin GPS antenna plugged into it. The external DAC will plug into one of the other USB ports to convert to decent analogue audio to feed into the Aux input in my console, while the HDMI feed will be converted through a composite video converter (a quality one though) to feed the video Aux input.

Then the next step will be to adapt the touchscreen's serial output to feed the NUC as a mouse, effectively. That should complete my navigation and audio solution. I've had enough of Mirrorlink devices to connect to mobile phones because quite frankly, mobile phones shit the bed too often, battery issues arise, etc.

So yes, it will then be possible to have internet connectivity in my car to take advantage of. :)

Have you got any specs on the touchscreen output?  I hadn't heard of that.

I have a Orange Pi that I might be able to configure for suitable video output, it could be entertaining to put it in and see what software ideas I can come up with.

Also do you have any specs on the video resolution, framerates etc?

I believe the touchscreen panel is a 4-wire serial but that's the last step in the homework I intend to do and develop some kind of sharing switch for, in the event that I want to use the touchscreen to dial a number on the handsfree (rarely the case).

I don't have anything about the video resolution, though I assume being from Japan, it will be the typical NTSC-J standard, which is still 525 lines, 60Hz refresh. Even if the converter you find only does NTSC-M, the only significant difference is the colour temperature in which it operates (9300K vs 6500K). Not really a big deal when you're going to be displaying maps on it.

Edited by The Max