SAU Community

Outside air temperature sensor r32

Import wreckers anywhere and everywhere.  Most front cuts probably just had these thrown away though, sadly.

I'd help you out by going out and measuring the resistance of mine at a couple of temperatures so you could work out what it is (almost certainly a thermistor).  But.....I'm on the other side of the planet from my car and will be so for more than a week.  Return date still sufficiently vague that I won't even promise.

Edited by GTSBoy
crappy typing skillz
  • Thanks 1

Funny you should be in the US (permanently).  That's where I am (temporarily).  Was in the wilds of Wyoming and Utah yesterday.  Southern Indiana today.  Back to Utah in a couple of days.  Then Wyoming again.

None of this helps you, obviously........but......if you can find an early 90s Maxima or any similar crappy FWD up-spec Nissan from the same era, there's a decent chance that the external temp sensor is the same thing.

• Thanks 1

Effectively, yes.  Although I would do it a bit more classy that just soldering it direct.  I'd try to arrange it inside a suitable case with crimp connectors for the loom connection.

But my point about scrounging one from another Nissan was that it should be the same* thing, meaning you don't have to stuff about except to put a loom plug back on the chopped wiring.

* Maybe not the same housing - but hopefully the same electrically.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Effectively, yes.  Although I would do it a bit more classy that just soldering it direct.  I'd try to arrange it inside a suitable case with crimp connectors for the loom connection.

But my point about scrounging one from another Nissan was that it should be the same* thing, meaning you don't have to stuff about except to put a loom plug back on the chopped wiring.

* Maybe not the same housing - but hopefully the same electrically.

It doesn’t plug into anything right? Just sits and measures atmospheric air temp?

OK, so you have the loom plug and the other half of that connector and the short length of wires and no sensor.  That wasn't clear from the outset, but it is now.  Someone has yanked the sensor straight off the wires!

Should be easy enough if you can find a sensor to solder on there.

Edited by GTSBoy

7 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

OK, so you have the loom plug and the other half of that connector and the short length of wires and no sensor.  That wasn't clear from the outset, but it is now.  Someone has yanked the sensor straight off the wires!

Should be easy enough if you can find a sensor to solder on there.

I am sorry for not pulling this whole mechanism out earlier. Any ideas I can find something. 

the r32 gtr is also notorious for having a problem with the a/c blend door

i fitted the proper ambient air temp sensor to mine (still available brand new from nissan japan) but still had the same problem as you, you can feel under the dash & there is a pug on the base of the ac unit, if you push on the plug it can open the blend door so it blows cold air, google it, some people have fixed by wedging something in there so the plug makes better contact, the proper fix is to resolder the internals of the unit

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/uploads/post-20278-1273149733.jpg

8 hours ago, stroobzilla said:

the r32 gtr is also notorious for having a problem with the a/c blend door

i fitted the proper ambient air temp sensor to mine (still available brand new from nissan japan) but still had the same problem as you, you can feel under the dash & there is a pug on the base of the ac unit, if you push on the plug it can open the blend door so it blows cold air, google it, some people have fixed by wedging something in there so the plug makes better contact, the proper fix is to resolder the internals of the unit

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/uploads/post-20278-1273149733.jpg

Is this on the drivers side 

unfortunately I pulled the lower dash card out and I think I found where you were talking about and with no luck. with the engine running it felt like a decent 55 degrees F coming through the floor vent but when I turned on the ac the temperature never changed either

As a temporary fix so you don't have to drive around with hot air coming out just disconnect the Blend door motor from rod that connects it to the door (passenger side footwell), then you can just operate the door manually to be on hot or cold or anywhere in-between. I did this for awhile and basically ran a summer setting and a winter setting. 

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

As a temporary fix so you don't have to drive around with hot air coming out just disconnect the Blend door motor from rod that connects it to the door (passenger side footwell), then you can just operate the door manually to be on hot or cold or anywhere in-between. I did this for awhile and basically ran a summer setting and a winter setting. 

Is this easily accessible ?

Yeah absolutely, (this is assuming Gtr and Gts-t are the same) but it's just on the right hand side of the passenger footwell (up under the dash a little), After i fixed the thing that diverts the air to different areas (because that also wasn't working when i got the car) i actually ended up disconnecting it again as the climate control deciding where it wants to direct the air by itself as you change the temperature was pissing me off so much. Now i just reach under the dash (can be done while driving, as this one is in a similar position but on drivers side) and manually shift it to windscreen or face, slightly less convenient but way less annoying 

Edited by Gareth