SAU Community

RB25DET Oil Filter Housing Cracked

Boof3r

Hey everyone,

My oil filter housing flange is cracked and I have a nasty oil leak as a result. I've had a look around everywhere for replacement parts and advice on what to do but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. From my research I have the following options:

1. Weld the crack - not recommended as the housing is aluminium and oil tends to get trapped making it even harder to weld.

2. Relocate oil filter using kit - seems like a good option but then I have to relocate the oil cooler as well. Also is there any additional wiring needed for the sensors (oil temp and pressure) due to the relocation?

3. Install a sandwich plate - another seemingly good option, but also deletes the oil cooler. I guess with this one the sensors can stay where they are (just get installed into the sandwich plate)?

4. Use a housing from a different engine such as an RB30 - not too sure about this one. What are the differences between them?

Ideally I'd love some advice from someone who has done this before but at this point any advice would help. I liked the idea of the sandwich plate the most but I've been told it's not as simple as just putting in a new stud, installing the sandwich plate and sensors and screwing in the filter. Any thoughts on this?

Alternatively if anyone has a blown RB25DET that they are parting out please let me know!

TIA

4 hours ago, Boof3r said:

4. Use a housing from a different engine such as an RB30 - not too sure about this one. What are the differences between them?

RB30 doesn't have a housing - there is just a hollow stud screwed into the block, and the filter spins onto that. The o-ring on the filter seals against the block (which is where your current housing seals now). If you wanted to fit an external oil cooler, you could remove the housing, install an RB30 stud, fit a sandwich plate over the stud, then run lines to the cooler. You can put the oil pressure sensor in the sandwich plate. We ran our track car like this for a while.

You can buy the RB30 stud (actually, for some strange reason you have to buy 2) from Nissan spare parts. Here is a link to one at Kudos - RB30 oil filter stud