SAU Community

Evo/GTR Brembos on to other things

Possibly relevant for Skyline drivers but this is for a track Silvia. 

I often see Evo Brembo's much cheaper than GT-R Brembos but the Evo units, despite being a better caliper with larger pad area, require an adapter regardless of whether you use 320mm or 350mm Evo Rotors. 

Such as this: http://www.tf-works.com/tf-evo-8-9-brembo-brake-caliper-adapter-for-nissan-s13-s14-s15/  (This is for 320mm rotors)

My concern is how the adapter will handle the heat from longer stints and the risk of pad knock back etc from flex in the mount. 

Car is getting a new motor and will end up on either big semis or slicks so will be moving along a bit. 

Not an issue to be worried about and time to enjoy some Evo calipers or better to stick with the direct fit R33 GT-R Brembo's for a bit more money, less pad area, but maybe less issues? 

I wouldn't worry about the adapters (although there are some doubts about their road-legalness).  They're strong enough.  The fact that you really have to change the master to get the piston areas to work is an extra hassle.

Cheap aftermarket kits are less hassle.....but they're not Brembos either.

Hmmm. that's not real useful.. Perhaps I mean to say that if you have to have Brembos, then I'd prefer to stick with GTR ones.  Or look to Z33/4 era stuff. 

Edited by GTSBoy

I run brembos (porsche) with an adapter on the race car and have not had any trouble. There is no reason an adapter would cause trouble unless it is not engineered correctly; strength of the bracket and resulting location of the caliper on the disk are critical

I don't have direct experience with the alpha omega ones although I'm a little surprised how close the threaded holes are to the outside of the adapter in those pics. It's hard to be sure without measuring but I'd be looking for at least the same diameter as the hole to be left around it (ie 14mm hole, 14mm around it to support it). Generally their stuff is good, and I haven't heard from anyone having a problem with them

other thing to  consider is in reality is it a necessity of go that big on brakes with the light s13 and not huge power ie: not just the caliper but if you go the EVO 350mm rotor they are heavier and more expensive and the brake pads are more expensive from my knowledge

With the GTR stuff smaller 324mm rotor and brake pads = little lighter and for the same money can get better stuff (only marginal but still counts)

For reference Im running r34 brembo's all round with BMC50 all be it with Project Mu 2 piece rotors and PMU H16 03 pads and it pulls my 1300kg total R32 gtst very well, admitted its on their limits really but still does the job well and im running 560hp and full tote odds. I went the smaller brakes but the best rotors and pads I could for the money instead

Edited by bcozican

11 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Just go with the K-sport etc big brakes - they bolt straight on to the Skyline, Stageas not sure about S chassis

Will have a search, have heard mixed things about rotor quality, seal quality etc. 

Are people using them here with success? 

11 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I wouldn't worry about the adapters (although there are some doubts about their road-legalness).  They're strong enough.  The fact that you really have to change the master to get the piston areas to work is an extra hassle.

Cheap aftermarket kits are less hassle.....but they're not Brembos either.

Hmmm. that's not real useful.. Perhaps I mean to say that if you have to have Brembos, then I'd prefer to stick with GTR ones.  Or look to Z33/4 era stuff. 

I do have a BM50 and Skyline master now, which people have run with Brembo's successfully, but gien it's a fluid change to swap calipers there's not a big drama about going to a BM57 if required. Why not the Evo Brembo's or is that more about it just being bolt on? 

11 hours ago, Robzilla32 said:

Hey Dan. There are a few people on here that run the Alpha Omega Racing Brembo kits.

Being a road car, mine don't get much of a workout but @timmy_89 may be able to provide better insight as he has them on a track car.

Alpha Omega kit is for a 350mm rotor and if the cars at WTAC can't heatthem up that well I wont have a chance so I'd rather then 320 or 324mm rotors, less weight too. 

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

I run brembos (porsche) with an adapter on the race car and have not had any trouble. There is no reason an adapter would cause trouble unless it is not engineered correctly; strength of the bracket and resulting location of the caliper on the disk are critical

I don't have direct experience with the alpha omega ones although I'm a little surprised how close the threaded holes are to the outside of the adapter in those pics. It's hard to be sure without measuring but I'd be looking for at least the same diameter as the hole to be left around it (ie 14mm hole, 14mm around it to support it). Generally their stuff is good, and I haven't heard from anyone having a problem with them

I didn't like AO adapters, they are different again and used for the 350mm Evo X rotor. Good point re meat to hole ratio. 

6 minutes ago, bcozican said:

other thing to  consider is in reality is it a necessity of go that big on brakes with the light s13 and not huge power ie: not just the caliper but if you go the EVO 350mm rotor they are heavier and more expensive and the brake pads are more expensive from my knowledge

With the GTR stuff smaller 324mm rotor and brake pads = little lighter and for the same money can get better stuff (only marginal but still counts)

For reference Im running r34 brembo's all round with BMC50 all be it with Project Mu 2 piece rotors and PMU H16 03 pads and it pulls my 1300kg total R32 gtst very well, admitted its on their limits really but still does the job well and im running 560hp and full tote odds. I went the smaller brakes but the best rotors and pads I could for the money instead

Slicks allow you to brake so much harder and as I want to look at longer events the ability to deal with more heat will be handy, plus if I do have the Brembo size setup it means I can just run basic DBA T3 rotors and not need really high end setup to handle the heat as they wont work as hard on my car. 

Power is another consideration as I'm building a motor so the car will hopefully be slowing down from higher speeds. 

1 hour ago, niZmO_Man said:

Wasn't there a group buy on D2 brake kits around here a few years ago? People were tracking with those without issue IIRC (including a Stagea?).

Yep like me pulling up a heavy Stagea from 250 on the back straight and a bit less on the front straight at Pukekohe lap after lap (330mm D2s with Pagid pads) - should be a piece of cake with a light weight race car.

• Like 1

I reckon those d2/attkd/g4/ksport/whatever brakes are the best option for pretty much any upgrade since they come with everything including brake lines.  I did manage to wear through 2 sets of rings and replaced 1 set of calipers due to sticky pistons after about 10 years running them on multiple cars, including at targa tas

• Like 1

Those caliper kits out of taiwan (D2/ksport/attkd pretty much all calipers with those grey hex bolts on the outside) do a pretty goood job. Lots of people run them, theres parts/pads/rotors for them.
The hammerhead has won 2x WTACs using the same ones...

I like them because they are cheap and good enough for the job. compare a kit that contains new calipers, pads, rotors, lines to the cost of buying a second hand caliper, rebuilding it, new pads, new rotors, new lines and you come out way ahead. And the caliper/disc combo is a lot lighter than brembos + factory style disc. And the caliper is slimmer than brembo so it fits under wheels better

I've bought a couple of those kits for different cars, generally 330mm because you don't need too large wheels.

• Like 2