SAU Community

R32 GT-R A/C not cold, blowing fuse 10

When I first purchased my Oct 1991 R32 GT-R's air conditioner was great.  Although now it's blowing fuse # 10 (10 amp).  As soon as I turn on the A/C, it blows the fuse.  I followed the steps for self-diagnosis without any error messages found.

Here is the fuse that is blowing:

1330871225_acfuse.jpg.3dc18fd8deccce4dc6a758f4e516e808.jpg

The major load on that fuse is the magnetic clutch for the compressor...

99615302_acmajorload.jpg.f1c3549b1a027c5c909017063669bf8b.jpg

Any idea if I can simply replace the magnetic clutch?  I can't seem to find one anywhere (I'm in the U.S.).   Or, does the whole compressor need replacing?

Edited by cfield

Hey mate had this happen to me long time ago ended up being the
A/c electromagnetic clutch.
Had a spare
Compressor that had low
Suction an robbed the coil from it.
Before you do
Anything try pulling the plug
Off the compressor and see if it still pops the fuse as you may have a wiring short

• 3 years later...
On 1/2/2022 at 12:09 AM, BourneToLive said:

I’m blowing the #20 AC 10A fuse at the bottom row in the middle. Does anyone know what that could be? 

There's a few things on that fuse with the highest load being the AC condenser fan. Take a look at the electrical drawings. 

On 1/3/2022 at 5:15 AM, TurboTapin said:

There's a few things on that fuse with the highest load being the AC condenser fan. Take a look at the electrical drawings. 

I traced the AC condenser fan’s wires to this green connector on the left side of the radiator and it had a sketchy looking red wire in it that looped. I’ll attach some pics so you can see. The original plug was right next to it, so I just plugged it back in. I have tried to see if it fixed the blowing issue because I don’t have anymore 10A fuses left lying around. Lol. 

B1027382-3248-4E66-86B3-8D086D909A86.jpeg

F75CC191-CEC1-4DF7-8BF8-DEB05CCE17AE.jpeg

found a 10A and it still blew it. 

Edited by BourneToLive

On 1/3/2022 at 3:25 AM, BourneToLive said:

I traced the AC condenser fan’s wires to this green connector on the left side of the radiator and it had a sketchy looking red wire in it that looped. I’ll attach some pics so you can see. The original plug was right next to it, so I just plugged it back in. I have tried to see if it fixed the blowing issue because I don’t have anymore 10A fuses left lying around. Lol. 

B1027382-3248-4E66-86B3-8D086D909A86.jpeg

F75CC191-CEC1-4DF7-8BF8-DEB05CCE17AE.jpeg

found a 10A and it still blew it. 

That is the thermoswitch connector that controls the ac(overheat) fan, not the fan motor itself. The jumper is there so the fan runs constantly. Do not put it back. What's the condition of your rad, shroud and rad fan? This may have been done to test your ac fan or alleviate overheating issues but that's a seperate issue.

Edited by TurboTapin