SAU Community

How to make perfect curves in square tubing

360CF

I have been asked a lot at car meets how I curved my steel SHS tubing for projects I build...without crimping or the outside corner sucking-in.

So I thought someone may find this helpful. It sure does produce a great result and causes some head scratching.

pictures should explain the process. Important to chamfer the edges of the steel to ensure full weld penetration and increase surface area for the weld filler. I have used these on steps for monster trucks and have never had a failure....the tubing buckles long before the welding or HAZ. I do only weld with a TIG and I consider that crucial...IMG_2806.thumb.JPG.a10056828731a167ea7283f7dc8132e9.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_2804.JPG

IMG_2805.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

Looks good. Do you only do tight radius bends like that or is it strong enough to do longer bends?

How do you work out the size of the disc?

You can make them of any size within reason. I do this also when fabricating hot rod bumperbars, also for clients (household/buisiness) tabletops and bars that require nice smooth radius' with no visible joins. Looks great on stainless. The larger the radius/longer the piece the thicker the material should be depending on load ratings.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:19 PM, PranK said:

Man I love metal fabrication!

That looks awesome! 

Making something unique from steel or anything else from that matter is very satisfying ?