SAU Community

Can someone tell me what this canister type thing is? 25DE NEO

Hi all, was changing my oil pressure sensor and broke the nipple on this fine can of emptiness last night, has 2 vac lines going to it... located under the intake runner/plenum thingy lol.

Thanks

IMG_1312.thumb.jpg.929d31f6abba7bee63c08f41e288e02e.jpgIMG_1317.thumb.jpg.59ee0df4bfd327245a28c5296864bb40.jpg

6 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Looks like your charcoal canister (part of the emission control system).

I thought that was the black canister located near the intake duct at the front near the radiator? 

Is there anyway to bypass this canister if so? or if its low pressure would super gluing the nipple back on work?

That is the vacuum tank reservoir for the dual plane manifold it stores vacuum and switches the length of the intake manifold from short to long for added power and no you cannot fix them, you need a new one. Try Partsouq they are usually awesome.

9 hours ago, Rusty Nuts said:

That is the vacuum tank reservoir for the dual plane manifold it stores vacuum and switches the length of the intake manifold from short to long for added power and no you cannot fix them, you need a new one. Try Partsouq they are usually awesome.

Bloody awesome help mate! I guess I shall now try find one locally, if not online it is lol. 

Wish I didn’t break it in anger now ?

5 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Don't beat yourself up Nathan, I broke one being careful,they are as fragile as a politician's ego

Did you buy one new? 

It is just a dumb canister though, isn't it?  In which case, anything of similar volume with a hose barb on it can do the job.  An EFI fuel filter, for example (with one of the hose barbs sealed off by your dodgy means of choice).  Or you could make one up out of a short bit of ~2" ally tube and some ally sheet if you're a fab nut.

9 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

t is just a dumb canister though, isn't it?  In which case, anything of similar volume with a hose barb on it can do the job.  An EFI fuel filter, for example (with one of the hose barbs sealed off by your dodgy means of choice).  Or you could make one up out of a short bit of ~2" ally tube and some ally sheet if you're a fab nut

Not quite as easy as that, the white part has a non return section in it to hold max vacuum attained. But what would I know I only sectioned one to find out what it did. Didn't you notice the other barb by his left forefinger. Talk about dodgy.

Edited by Rusty Nuts

The variable intake actuator is activated via solenoid using stored high (idle or closed throttle) vacuum. The solenoid is activated on and off by ECU it is closed by the solenoid venting the actuator to throttle chamber (low vac at high revs) and closing it. At higher revs there would simply not be enough vac to operate the actuator.

Edited by Rusty Nuts

Very early Chev's and Fords used them to run the windscreen wipers, they were common after market additions for old Holdens with low manifold vac (for advancing distributor) they are still made by Summit Racing but the original Nissan part is cheaper and available from Japan through Amayama.

On 6/1/2018 at 1:39 AM, Rusty Nuts said:

Very early Chev's and Fords used them to run the windscreen wipers, they were common after market additions for old Holdens with low manifold vac (for advancing distributor) they are still made by Summit Racing but the original Nissan part is cheaper and available from Japan through Amayama.

Picked up a second hand canister from a wreckers today for $12 so easy as. Cars now back together and all good!

thanks again for explaining what it was.. interesting stuff