SAU Community

R32 Rear Upper Control Arm Options

Recently got an alignment for my R32 GTR, all still within spec except left rear camber.  Still riding on old factory upper control arm, and the eccentric bolt is maxed out.  They told me a new bushing will not make up enough of the 0.5 degree difference even if I get new OEM upper control arm.  Is that a fair statement?  How about the Nismo upper control arms?  All the adjustable aftermarket options I find all use solid bushing, but I still want to use tradition rubber bushing, is there no such aftermarket option?

SPw0oTl.jpg

I guess you are trying to stay within factory settings; have you also got the factory suspension?

If so, most likely the car is riding lower than it used to which gives more camber, you can measure the distance from the centre of the wheel to the rear guard on both sides to see if it is even. New springs may be a good idea.

The other, less likely, possibility is that something has been bent over the years. In that case a new, factory arm would probably correct it if you knew exactly what was bent out of upper control arm, traction arm, lower control arm, hub, toe/hicas link, subframe or subframe mounting point.

If it's bent, it'll be the subframe.  Usually they get modified by kerbs.

Otherwise, I echo the suggestion to use Hardrace rubber bushed adjustables.  They do solids as well, so if that's what you find, keep looking.

Edited by GTSBoy

Thank you all for the information.  Yes I would just like to get back to factory spec, no setup for track or anything else. 

My car came with Nismo S-tune coilover, which only lowers 10mm so should not be a big issue for camber.  Front components are all Nismo, but but rear control arms are still factory, so they are 28 years old now.  Given how old the rear arms are, I thought just getting new ones would fix the camber, but my alignment guy had doubts because of how little adjustment the eccentric bolt can do.

I have never heard of Hardrace, they seem to offer a good range of products, but trying to buy them in the US appears to be a pain.  I think I will go with Whiteline.  Even though Whiteline only labels their upper controls arm to fit S13 and Z32, they are identical to R32 correct?

S13 same same with R32.  You could always buy Hardrace from Oz and get them sent over.  They are somewhat cheaper than Whiteline (which trades heavily on its name) but at least as good.  Just depends on what the shipping might cost you.

Just realize Whiteline uses polyurethane bushings instead of rubber.  Not a fan of polyurethane, so I will try to source a pair of Hardrace.  However, I found this brand I never heard of called TruHart also makes one for 2/3 the price.  Have you guys heard of it?

http://www.truhartusa.com/Rear_Upper_Control_Arms_for_89_94_240sx_Skyline_p/th-n201.htm

19 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Looks like stuff off ebay.

Perhaps contact these people:

www.buyhardrace.com/

Yeah I emailed and called them Monday morning, no response until now.  $200 USD plus shipping and a 1-2 month wait...

I had bad experience with polyurethane bushings, but if I don't want to get those eBay junk then looks like Whiteline is the only option left. $160 USD shipped through Amazon, so actually not a bad deal.

I have early, limited run GKTech ones in my car, they haven't made a sound in 4 years, but the cheapo red ones from JustJap (I'd say same as the cheap eBay arms) squeaked after about two months of daily driving. Price IIRC was about $150-ish AUD per pair for the arms, so $160 USD for Whiteline seems reasonable.