SAU Community

Cant get OBD2 to talk with ECU

ausdrift

Hi All,
OK, its not my Skyline, but rather the daily I need help on today and am getting nowhere with the rest of the internet, so here it goes. I have a 2003 BMW 325i and cannot get my OBD2 reader to talk with the car. I previously used a Bluetooth unit with a phone app that worked in the past. Then when it stopped working I tried different apps with no luck. I then bought a hand held unit (Thzy brand, and no you probably have never heard of it) and it won’t link up either. It tries and eventually shows an error message in connecting. The unit itself works as it gets power from the car and I can check the battery voltage, but that’s it.
I’ve checked every fuse for the car and all are fine. The internet also suggested I try unplugging sensors 1 by 1 and trying to connect as this somehow would show a dead sensor and it can connect therefore (don’t know why). I even took the airbox off to get better access to anything that looked like a sensor. No luck there either.

Im out of ideas; why wont this thing talk! What else can I try??

Thanks.
ausdrift is offlineReport Post   progress.gif

I've tried some things and have got the Bluetooth reader to work somehow. The handheld unit still doesn't, so that's rather frustrating and Im out of ideas, but atleast have that much.