SAU Community

Stagea c34 1997 RS4 , Diff

TheKenso

Hi ther, Seams like my Stagea rear diff have sailed of to the limbo betwhen life and death, and want to know what i can put in it? 
Frome som reacerch the Stagea have an R200 diff, witch means ALOT of funn options! 
But i alsow know i need the same rations as the one i have.
I want to put in an LSD in it, and wondering if im gonna get my hands on a s13 or s14 LSD because they are easy to obtain and can handel the driving i do with the car.
But then i wonder, if i just change the intestens of the diff, and leav the pinjong wheels from my existing diff, wil i have the same ratio as i have now? im not to edjucated in this, and googel havent given me any good answers!

And to somthing in the completly diffrent end of hte car!
I got myself a set of rb26dett Coils, because i found out that rb25det s2 and rb26dett coils was supose to fit, BUT, the conektors are diffrent, and wondering, can i just repin the original wiering with new rb26dett conektors? Or is ther anything more i need to think about?

Hope somone can clearefy a few things for me!

What you can do with the diff depends on what is "dead" inside it.

If you have broken the crownwheel &/or pinion, then the diff is effectively a throwaway.  This is very unlikely, though.

If the gears or the viscous coupling (is it a VLSD?) in the centre have failed, then the best approach is to buy a good brandname mechanical LSD centre to put in it.  If you do this, then you keep your crownwheel & pinion (and hence the ratio stays the same).  Depending on what mech centre you buy, you will either reuse your original stub axles, or you will get new ones with the centre.

If you go about trying to replacing it with a whole 2nd hand diff, then you will be well advised to get a good look under your car, note the length of the front portion of the diff housing, the type of speed sensors (for ABS &/or speedo) and then go shopping for a Skyline diff.  But you will need to make sure you get something with the same ratio, of course.  S14 diffs will definitely have the wrong ratio.

As to the coils....You don't specify what year your Stagea is, so it is a bit difficult to be precise about which coils suit.  It is completely unlikely that RB26 coils will work, because the early 26 coils need an external igniter module as do the early RB25 coils and the later RB25 coils have internal igniters.  Stageas, I think, all have internal ignitors.

What you can do with the diff depends on what is "dead" inside it.
If you have broken the crownwheel &/or pinion, then the diff is effectively a throwaway.  This is very unlikely, though.
If the gears or the viscous coupling (is it a VLSD?) in the centre have failed, then the best approach is to buy a good brandname mechanical LSD centre to put in it.  If you do this, then you keep your crownwheel & pinion (and hence the ratio stays the same).  Depending on what mech centre you buy, you will either reuse your original stub axles, or you will get new ones with the centre.
If you go about trying to replacing it with a whole 2nd hand diff, then you will be well advised to get a good look under your car, note the length of the front portion of the diff housing, the type of speed sensors (for ABS &/or speedo) and then go shopping for a Skyline diff.  But you will need to make sure you get something with the same ratio, of course.  S14 diffs will definitely have the wrong ratio.
As to the coils....You don't specify what year your Stagea is, so it is a bit difficult to be precise about which coils suit.  It is completely unlikely that RB26 coils will work, because the early 26 coils need an external igniter module as do the early RB25 coils and the later RB25 coils have internal igniters.  Stageas, I think, all have internal ignitors.
So i can take the senter of a s14 lsd and keep my piniong and wil have the same ration?
The diff i have atm. Ia working but it makea my car ahake like a bitch.

When it comes to the coils i figured it out and it turned out that the coils wont work because i got coils that requier an ingitor
My stag is an 1997mod rb25det s2, so if im gonna use rb26 coils i need it from the r34 :/

5 hours ago, TheKenso said:

So i can take the senter of a s14 lsd and keep my piniong and wil have the same ration?
The diff i have atm. Ia working but it makea my car ahake like a bitch.

No.  Not just the pinion.  You have to swap the crownwheel over too.  That's the really big gear on the outside of the diff centre.  Taking a diff apart to that degree requires VERY careful measurement and setup during reassembly.  It's even worse when you're Frankensteining 2 diffs together.

You're description of "working but makes the car shake like a bitch" could stil mean that just about any part of your diff could be broken.  My suggestion is that you should take it apart first and find out what is wrong before making plans.

5 hours ago, TheKenso said:

My stag is an 1997mod rb25det s2, so if im gonna use rb26 coils i need it from the r34

There is nothing superior about RB26 coils.  Just look for some Splitfires to suit your actual car.  Problem solved, $400USD.

I would be checking the universal joints, and all of the drive shafts for bearing failure before opening up the diff centre, if you have already made sure the fault is not there, then i would look at the diffs, but as GTSBoy said above when assembling a new differential centre out of other parts or new parts some very critical measurements need to be carried out and therefore sometimes it is better to purchase an entire centre already set to the correct tolerances etc.

12 hours ago, oxford1327 said:

I would be checking the universal joints, and all of the drive shafts for bearing failure before opening up the diff centre, if you have already made sure the fault is not there, then i would look at the diffs, but as GTSBoy said above when assembling a new differential centre out of other parts or new parts some very critical measurements need to be carried out and therefore sometimes it is better to purchase an entire centre already set to the correct tolerances etc.

have alrdy cheked everything els, and are 100% surten it is the diff that is broken.

As far as my reasearch has gone the Stagea c34 had a r200 diff witch means ther is alot of diffrent once out hter that i can take the senter from, and its realy easy for me to get a replacment senter in good condition, because so many ppl but Kaz diff's in their drift cars, but i wil do more reasearch befor i go purches somthing tho, woud suck to f**k the 4wd system of the car just because i have the wrong rations

On 6/25/2018 at 9:58 AM, KiwiRS4T said:

Get a Nismo diff from Japan which is the correct one for your car.

From Nismo or

https://jessestreeter.com/

By the way if people are throwing out their diffs to get a Kaaz then you don't want their old diff either - you would be better off with the Kaaz.

Have driven 1 car with a 1.5 kaz diff, not the best thing in street car :xD