SAU Community

Hank's HMMWV, we're going to war! (or at least the shops)

On 6/22/2018 at 11:33 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

1988 VG40 Century, I used to daily it!

Carsncoffee.jpg.93fe7abae55a6e0064c1d449af702766.jpg99474526_Outsidehouse.jpg.a6f82661e6833e127563c1505300f940.jpg

For some reason I have memories of riding around in this around Fremantle with a slightly overweight house mate of yours...Jabba? Is this a false memory or can you confirm?

15 hours ago, Birds said:

For some reason I have memories of riding around in this around Fremantle with a slightly overweight house mate of yours...Jabba? Is this a false memory or can you confirm?

I think you are correct about everything except for the vehicle, I believe that was his Aristo.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:10 PM, hattori hanzo said:

This is amazing. 

Is it going to stay a semi convertible thing or going to have a hard top like the green one with the turret? 

So I ordered a hard top a week ago, the below pictures is the same style hard top (but obviously not my car). The person who makes it is in Canada and custom makes each one to order.

871980146_top1.thumb.jpg.f9043a35f7639211ee20ce3908ef7e8c.jpg

906458383_top4.png.7b2c2ef9223cb0a6f351e3620da62917.png

112261864_top3.thumb.jpg.900e68c4888854f208e4431e9eaab83f.jpg

1275957626_top2.thumb.jpg.280dd44841d93b86bd2b5bff0238be8c.jpg

So rather than your traditional Humvee 2 man set up where the rear curtain sits snug behind the b-pillar, this is made a little bit longer and is based off the Hummer H1 XLC2 body. I'll have to modify the rear seat backs somehow to get the floor of the tray flat, however it will give me a little more cabin room to put stuff in. Think of it as an extra cab as opposed to a single cab.

Below is a Hummer H1 XLC2

img_SOJqUe3rKb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some videos from the guys at M2 Services about what needs doing to the truck.

We're at a bit of an impass at the moment as they want to do everything but I do not have the budget to do everything.

So at the moment we are trying to trim the fat, only replace what needs replacing for roadworthy over here and get his parts and labour down.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wlx6prl93d3q9xr/AAB4IZDVhpE4bMff_Z_QWuvDa?dl=0

Some videos from the guys at M2 Services about what needs doing to the truck.

We're at a bit of an impass at the moment as they want to do everything but I do not have the budget to do everything.

So at the moment we are trying to trim the fat, only replace what needs replacing for roadworthy over here and get his parts and labour down.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wlx6prl93d3q9xr/AAB4IZDVhpE4bMff_Z_QWuvDa?dl=0

They seem to be thorough and know what’s up, if you can’t afford the labour can you afford the parts and just fit it up in the workshop when it arrives? Some of that stuff I’d definitely get done there like the electric issues and glow plugs.

Glow plugs will get done there, they're quite cheap.

The Smart Start Box will be replaced, not going to play with the indicators or anything at this point in time. Hopefully the new box sorts the windscreen wipers out as well. Hopefully I find someone with "new old stock" as even on special from Hummer Parts Guy they are $550 USD.

Looks like the alternator will be replaced.

Any non worn ball joints will be kept. Any non worn CV shafts will not be touched.

New tie rod ends and rear toe rods going on, hopefully again I have found some new old stock.

Using a second hand 4 speed shifter instead of a new one which saves me about $200 USD.

Hopefully all that saves me coin and we can knock the labour down a bit!

Just bought a new Smart Start System (Brain/ECU if you will), hopefully many of my electrical problems will be solved!

For those interested in what a Smart Start Box is, this is basically what I bought -
https://www.hummerpartsguy.com/CONTROL-REMOTE-SWITCHING-SMART-START-WTSU-KDS_p_22259.html

• 3 weeks later...

Just read.
I have a feeling this is going to be like project binky(in regards to the length between updates).
Hoping it's not the case.

Also, have to put the globex corp logo on the sides.....Screenshot_20181012-092853_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, luke gtr said:

Just read.
I have a feeling this is going to be like project binky(in regards to the length between updates).
Hoping it's not the case.

Also, have to put the globex corp logo on the sides.....

Globex logo would be sweet, as would an Elon Musk spec flame thrower.

Hopefully not long between updates, all parts required have now been ordered, hopefully it will be together soon and on the water in January.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Few more parts got delivered to the workshop today, so we're getting super close!

A new 'Master Light Switch' so I can turn my headlights and stuff on
MLS.png.e02516d03e13945219ebbbd5c8bf657a.png

Also some new rear toe rods as one of the inner bushes was worn and the adjustment threads were seized (similar to the rear HICAS tie rods on a Skyline I suppose).

Roof is being built as we speak and I'm looking for a couple of new or good second hand wheels and tyres.

It's my understanding that the workshop has most of the parts there and is putting it all together.

No reason the truck shouldn't be finished in the next few weeks, then we just need to title the truck in Texas and sort out export paperwork.

Fingers crossed it can jump in a boat before Christmas and it will be here so I can sweat my balls off in summer ? (No A/C, RIP me).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for potato photos.

So, two of my tyres were stuffed and I needed some new ones. The HMMWV runs an interesting tyre size - 37x12.5R16.5 which isn't really shared by any other vehicle. This means that they are not available in Australia and brand new they cost $300 USD each (Chinese) or $700 USD each (BFG, Goodyear etc.).

So, if I wanted brand new tyres here in Aus I would have had to buy them, mount them myself, buy new internal runflats and find someone who can balance 37's (my normal place can't do a tyre that large, so would have to take it toa  truck place).

Alternatively I could buy new 2x new chinese tyres in America, pre-fitted on wheels shipped to texas for a little over $1,000 USD (pair price).

Luckily there is a tyre place a few km from where my truck is. Old mate Rodney at Feltz Tires had good take offs with ~90% tread on 12 bolt wheels. They're a little old, but look in great condition. I grabbed a pair for $250 USD - BARGAIN!

I can't wait to get these wheels and tyres off my truck though and upgrade to some 40's. Not only will the larger tyre give me a higher top cruising speed, but the factory wheels and tyres weigh 80KG EACH!

The wheels and tyres get dropped off to the truck on Monday and we can see how close it is to being put back on the road and ready for export :) 

455abf59-1f0c-499e-81c5-7ab5ffe9b2cf.JPG

1138d156-baec-4d42-88d6-4c12d1884150.JPG

• Like 3

Wheels and tyres dropped off Tuesday morning, the truck is basically on it's feet and just waiting on it's Texas title and roof to be finished (there were delays in the roof makers workshop being moved).

Once the truck has a Texas title import/export paperwork can be finalised

Every day I get closer to my truck, and stray further from god.

• Like 1

Wheels and tyres dropped off Tuesday morning, the truck is basically on it's feet and just waiting on it's Texas title and roof to be finished (there were delays in the roof makers workshop being moved).

Once the truck has a Texas title import/export paperwork can be finalised
Every day I get closer to my truck, and stray further from god.

Can’t wait to see this mad rig rolling coal in Perth!

Just now, shoey85 said:

Can’t wait to see this mad rig rolling coal in Perth!

That will be my next thing to do once it's registered, figure out where to get some biodiesel from. Can I run it on fish and chip oil? I want my truck to smell like fish and chips!

• Like 2