SAU Community

Repairable Write off

So after owning my 33gtst for around 6 years ive decided to part ways with her, during the process i've found out the car is on the ppsr as a repairable write off.
looks as either the car was brought to aus as a wreck and fixed or someome smashed it within days or weeks of it being complied.

The question now however is what do i do with it? its got a lot of a good gear on it and makes good power. The car had a very good repair job as it never gave any indication of repairs though now its basically worthless :(

Sell it at a huge loss? part it out? I dont know what to do

Sell it as you were going to. It could have been an economic write off like someone keying your car all over and it not being economicly worth them repairing but still a great car.

Hmmm ok. As long as its been repaired properly i wouldnt be too worried but yea thats me. It sounds like you have loved and cared for it. Would be such a shame to wreck something over this. I still think sell it as you were going to. Just about every car has been in an accident as they get older. If they look it up and ask questions you can answer it. If not then its off to a happy new owner. Be honest and truthful. It comes to bite u when u lie

• Like 1

I would get it inspected, see what they say, if it is ok and the repair was carried out correctly I would add the report into the for sale thread, you will lose out a bit, but how much are your used parts worth anyway. 

The NRMA do these inspections I believe, I have no idea of the cost though.

Like i said, ive owned it a while and it was quite a shock to me, was definitely a quality repair. 

Oddly its repairable write off date is the same month as compliance, it it possible it was brought over wrecked and then fixed up?

7 hours ago, meatball said:

Oddly its repairable write off date is the same month as compliance, it it possible it was brought over wrecked and then fixed up?

Nope, because there is no concept of a "written off" car if it was "written off" outside the country where the laws describing what a repairable write off constitutes.  You could bring 13 partial cars into Oz, assemble one good one from the pieces, and so long as it presents properly when it is being complied, it gets complied as if it was the same as the car that the chassis number/plate came from.  OK, so maybe that was more true back in the day, but it's still feasible, even today with SEVS.

I'd put money on the first importer, so excited to have their pure JDM goodness, pull a burnout leaving the compliance centre and crashed it into a street pole.

41 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

I'd put money on the first importer, so excited to have their pure JDM goodness, pull a burnout leaving the compliance centre and crashed it into a street pole.

yeah i'd say thats spot on