SAU Community

Ruinned's building of a widebody for his GTT

Hey all,

Decided id keep track of my current project on here for everyone to enjoy, judge, all the fun stuff. So since i first got my GTT, i have always wanted it to have a wider body like a GTR. after looking at some kits online, i decided id have a go at building one myself because i wanted something no one else has. So went online ordered myself 40kgs of clay and all the fiber glassing items i need.The current plan is to build front, rear bolt on fenders and side skirts, then build a duck-tail spoiler for it.

Here is the current progress. So far all ive used for shaping it is, couple small metal scrapers, bit of card board and a 2mm sheet of mdf.

Going to change the rears a bit to more match the shape of the front and bring the rears all the way down to the side skirts.

20180623_154248.jpg

20180623_154252.jpg

20180623_154259.jpg

20180703_224945.jpg

20180703_224958.jpg

20180703_225004.jpg

20180703_225016.jpg

20180703_225045.jpg

• Like 3

Cool.  I think the final plastic version will want to have less thickness at the front of the front guard and also at the front of the rear (just behind the door).  I see what you're trying to do, but I think it will be better without the bulk.

11 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Cool.  I think the final plastic version will want to have less thickness at the front of the front guard and also at the front of the rear (just behind the door).  I see what you're trying to do, but I think it will be better without the bulk.

Any particular reason you think it will be better ? or just that you think it will look better that way ? either way i am fully open to suggestions and ideas :)

1 hour ago, ruinned said:

Any particular reason you think it will be better ? or just that you think it will look better that way ? either way i am fully open to suggestions and ideas :)

Yeah, look better.  I think it's just too bulky on the leading edges.  You need/want the bulk where the widebody has to be wide, but where it interfaces with the existing panels, I think it will look better with less thickness.  I dunno, I might be wrong, looking at the pictures might be different to seeing the real thing, and especially when the real thing will be painted the same colour as the car and not gack clay - it's just my impression.

image.png.15eefb1dc1c67b21bfd9cb0ecd73d523.png

On 7/5/2018 at 10:14 AM, GTSBoy said:

Yeah, look better.  I think it's just too bulky on the leading edges.  You need/want the bulk where the widebody has to be wide, but where it interfaces with the existing panels, I think it will look better with less thickness.  I dunno, I might be wrong, looking at the pictures might be different to seeing the real thing, and especially when the real thing will be painted the same colour as the car and not gack clay - it's just my impression.

image.png.15eefb1dc1c67b21bfd9cb0ecd73d523.png

I have thought about doing it in that style, but i want it to look different to a gtr if that makes sense.

Now the tricky part tho, figuring out how wide to make it, and then what rims choices i am left with. At the moment the rears are wide enough that they sit flush with a 18x10 +0, not sure if i want leave it that wide or bring it in 10mm. then i think it would roughly be as wide as a gtr.

• 2 weeks later...

Have put some more work into this, not much as it has being rather cold down my way. Extended the bottoms of each side down to the bottom of the car.

Have started fiber glassing it up, since there is the dip in the middle it is making it a bit tricky. gotta do it in smaller pieces. Should hopefully have the whole rear panel fully fiber glassed up by the end of the week.

20180714_134708.jpg

20180714_152133.jpg

20180714_165842.jpg

20180714_165856.jpg

20180715_214754.jpg

Edited by ruinned
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

Love DIY stuff like this, wish I had the time and space to for projects like this.

How will/do you go about duplicating this on the other side?

So to get it perfect on the other side, once i have made the mold i will make some ribs for it and then just flip them around.

basically following how this guy has done it

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 8:47 PM, GTSBoy said:

So i ended up having to remove the bulk at the parts u mentioned lol, as cool as i thought it looked. trying to fiberglass it up was just to difficult. (good chance there is a trick to it that i dont know).

So got the shape to what i wanted, started trying to fiberglass it up. what a pain in the ass that turned out to be. the bulky parts were just to hard to get multiple layers of fiberglasss to keep the shape.

So i have gone back to the drawing board and started redesigning the rear end. Front end shape will stay the same, but i will just remove the bulk and make it curve down.

Will upload some progress photos soon.

• Like 1

Some photos of the progress i am making on this.

Going to remove the bit above the fuel filer cap and change the rear so it is not going all the way down to the bottom. Going to cut it off where the rear bumper pokes out a bit and blend it into that.

Still need to take the top of it all the way up to the curve as well.

Should be getting that done tonight, then will be fiberglassing it saturday.

20180815_214356.jpg

20180815_214407.jpg

20180815_214412.jpg

Nice work so far, just don't rush to get it in fiberglass as the more time you spend perfecting the clay the better your frp part will be.

This is actually my job (clay modeller at Ford Design) & a few years back I did a wing for my Z32 in clay, check out my build thread for plenty of photos of my process & tools, how I balanced the sides, etc.
clicky

As for your design, I'd be bringing that hard edge down a bit so it cuts through the fuel filler cap, looks a bit square / heavy in your second photo looking backwards across the guard.
Great work so far though! Which brand of clay are you working with?

cheers, Tim

Edited by lidz

Yeah, it doesn't need to be so wide/high up the top.  If you narrow the width from behind the wheel opening as it goes past the fuel filler and possibly slope the top edge down/out so that you don't have so much material about the fuel filler hole, it will probably still look phat where you need it (at the wheel) and not so hippy further back.

4 hours ago, lidz said:

Nice work so far, just don't rush to get it in fiberglass as the more time you spend perfecting the clay the better your frp part will be.

This is actually my job (clay modeller at Ford Design) & a few years back I did a wing for my Z32 in clay, check out my build thread for plenty of photos of my process & tools, how I balanced the sides, etc.
clicky

As for your design, I'd be bringing that hard edge down a bit so it cuts through the fuel filler cap, looks a bit square / heavy in your second photo looking backwards across the guard.
Great work so far though! Which brand of clay are you working with?

cheers, Tim

Cheers man, and yeah before i go into fiber glassing it i am going to make sure it is good as i can get it.  This is the clay i am using https://www.edex.com.au/northcote-terracotta-clay-10kg.html

And awesome!, will def check out the build thread man :D

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Yeah, it doesn't need to be so wide/high up the top.  If you narrow the width from behind the wheel opening as it goes past the fuel filler and possibly slope the top edge down/out so that you don't have so much material about the fuel filler hole, it will probably still look phat where you need it (at the wheel) and not so hippy further back.

Yeah i think im going to give that ago and see how it turns out. Going to keep playing with the rear of it until i find something that works.

So changed the rear a little bit, brought it up higher and took it all the way back to the tail lights.

decided that i liked the shape of it, so fiber glassed it up :D.

3 layers of fiber glass cloth on it. Once i pull it off, i will do another layer on the inside of it to add just bit more strength to it.

Going to do the front tonight. Then onto gel coat and sanding it back.

20180819_185409.jpg

Will this allow you to run wider wheels?
Looks like it’s only wider at the top of the guards not really allowing much wider wheels than what most would usually run

3 hours ago, UWISSH! said:

Will this allow you to run wider wheels?
Looks like it’s only wider at the top of the guards not really allowing much wider wheels than what most would usually run

Yeah, will be letting me run wider wheels.

the rears will be running 18x10 et0 front will be running 18x10 et10. The wheels on it in the picutures are 9" but got wheel spacers on to push them out to where the 10" wheels will sit.