SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

Gday
I picked up a 17 LE to get back into a light(ish) RWD platform.

Im keeping it stock......sooo

So far I have replaced the Michelins with some Hankook RS4's, 215/45 17, I'm keeping the OEM rims, from my experience at picking the brains of some of the guys at local tracks, any bigger and the extra weight is a big down side, hell the car would need alot more balls to overpower the little 215's RS4's anyways.

I put on a X Force cat back so I can at least hear the engine, that added a massive 0% increase in performance, as expected, and only a very slight increase in noise, nothing like what expected from the sound clips on the X Force site, I believe what they advertise as a cat back is in fact a header back, or, headers and full exhaust.

So, I added the header back front pipe, it's still pretty quite, the stock cat in the header and the high flow cat in the front pipe keeps alot of the noise down, still sounds nothing like the cat back sound clip.

So, I may get catless headers...

Also got some camber bolts, maxed them out to get a disappointing -0.5, so much for the advertised +/- 0.75.

As for the future, it's staying NA, I've had my share of breaking modified cars with turbo's.

I'm getting a tune, mainly for cleaning up the OEM tune, and the Racerom features that are available with ECUTEK, I am a massive fan of the rev match feature, I'm rubbish at heel toe.

I will most likely get the header prior to the tune, that should at least get me the sound I want, hell, isn't that what tax returns are for.

Apart from that it's now looking like alot more parts to get the alignment settings I want, everything I require is in the whiteline catalog, the OEM adjustability is rubbish.

I'm liking the OEM shocks and dampers on the LE, and the Brembo's are excellent, sadly as I've stated the OEM adjustability is the only real let down.

As for the elephant in the room, power wise it wouldn't pull the skin off custard, but that's not the point of it for me.

I'm more interested in making it handle, it's the twisties where the real fun is.

It is always fun when you grab a new platform, looking at all the things that make them go, corner and stop.

Oh, and all the stupid things people do, and their outrageous claims, are also a interesting read.

Anyways, I babbled on enough

Enjoy

20180705_142819.jpg

20180705_174728.jpg

20180705_174837.jpg

• Like 2

I've decided the track mode light should be off when track mode is engaged and when it is off a warning light telling you to "turn track mode on you idiot".

Currently looking for alignment solutions for the front, rear is easy with the adjustable lower control arm from whiteline, the front is more tricky, I don't want pillow ball, and the whiteline option only adds +/-0.75.

Researching car stuff at work is much more fun than actually working.

• Like 1

I have a strange love for 86's and am a big fan of you keeping it NA. From reading this it sounds like you'll be sticking to quality and useful parts rather than following 99% of the P Plater 86's out there too which is awesome.

Will be following this for sure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jordy32 said:

rather than following 99% of the P Plater 86's out there too which is awesome.

No -5 degree camber and stretched tyres? lol

So this may or may not be appropriate, but a few months back I toasted a 86 down Hume Highway, Lansvale after the speed camera rolling. (Didn't break any road rules or anything) just rolled at 30~40km/h after the camera and hammered it to about 70km/h. Kid in the 86 asked what mods were done to the wife's Mazda 3 SP25 which I replied it's stock and auto LOL.

I have a strange love for 86's and am a big fan of you keeping it NA. From reading this it sounds like you'll be sticking to quality and useful parts rather than following 99% of the P Plater 86's out there too which is awesome.

Will be following this for sure!

Yeah cheers, there will be no big rims or slamming this little girl.

Camber adjustable strut tops are proving a problem.

Whiteline items appear to be having bearing failures, lots of talk about it, from their inception, I think they gave up at version 4, they have been removed from the website, you can still purchase them from MRT and some other "joints", but from all the bad reviews I would be a idiot to use them.

Other brands are out there and they not having reliability issues, BUT, they are pillow ball, and most raise the front by at least 10mm, so they are not an option.

I found 1 brand, HVT that doesn't raise the front, none in stock though, and at $435 US + delivery, which is usually a ridiculous amount, it  is really breaking my balls trying to chase another -1.25 degrees.

The only other real option looks like aftermarket coilovers with adjustable top hats, BUT, getting anything that resembles quality, and would be compliant for street duties, are gonna cost a fair quid, so no cheap and easy way out.

Arrrrrggggg, I really like the OEM SACH stuff, they are really compliant on the street but still feel really good when I'm throwing it around.

Stupid cars

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

No -5 degree camber and stretched tyres? lol

So this may or may not be appropriate, but a few months back I toasted a 86 down Hume Highway, Lansvale after the speed camera rolling. (Didn't break any road rules or anything) just rolled at 30~40km/h after the camera and hammered it to about 70km/h. Kid in the 86 asked what mods were done to the wife's Mazda 3 SP25 which I replied it's stock and auto LOL.

LOL, idiots have been trying to race me since I got it, I'm lucky to beat a Yaris off the lights, but once it's got a head of steam up, after about 8 seconds, it's just waiting for some corners...?

Have you seen the Raceeng gear? Dropped a link for you below. I've been stalking their website/instagram and have a mental checklist of parts I'd put on an 86 if i ever got one lol

https://www.raceseng.com/cascam-caster-camber-plates-toyota-86-scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-2013#

That and their billet gear just looks so good.

Have you seen the Raceeng gear? Dropped a link for you below. I've been stalking their website/instagram and have a mental checklist of parts I'd put on an 86 if i ever got one lol

https://www.raceseng.com/cascam-caster-camber-plates-toyota-86-scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-2013#

That and their billet gear just looks so good.

I had a look at them, I cannot find solid info on the stack height though, some says it raises, some say it lowers, some say it's the same as OEM.

Plus converting USD to AUD, and then adding postage, I'm close enough cash wise to be looking at some MCA blue coils, from my understanding they would stack up very well against the OEM suspension, they have adjustable strut tops, and are height adjustable.

As for ride height, a 15mm drop all round is good to go, once you go lower thats when you negatively affecting handling, "apparently"......?

From looking at the 86 race series the max lowering is 140mm front and 280mm rear, with my car as it sits now, 300mm rear and 160mm front, I should be able to lower it 20mm all round.

I base this off an assumption that CAMS wouldn't recommend this if it adversely affected handling.

But thats just based on assumptions ?

86_racing_series_Recognition_Form (1).pdf

I am also still basing all these changes, um, as tweeks, not modifications, this line of thought helps me sleep at night.

That's very true, once you pay for them and get them over here you might as well spend a touch more and get the MCA's then you can drop it that magical 15mm too! :)

Got the windows tinted on Friday, I realise now how much I like driving with the windows down, waiting for the tint to cure, 3 to 5 days, is a pain in the arse, all the initial little water bubbles are gone already though.

The tint shop also said to give it a week before cleaning the windows, this is also a pain, I am a big fan of having spotless windows.

I have been doing some Ebay shopping as well, I have a OEM oil to water cooler from a Forester coming my way, benifits are it brings up my oil temps quicker while also stabilizing my oil and water temps a bit, it knocks down oil temp by a few degrees while not affecting the coolant temp, another benefit of the oil to water is during really cold weather my oil temps won't be lower than the optimum 90°c, I had issues with the oil temps being much to low previously using oil to air during daily duties.

Why a oil cooler you ask, from talking to a few people the OEM cooling system works quite well when staying NA, oil temps on the other hand can be a issue when the car is pushed hard (I have noticed this on a few occasions) or when stuck in traffic (you can watch the oil temps rise to 120° sitting in the M5 tunnel, coolant sits steady at 90°), the OEM Forester thingie has proved a successful upgrade for oil control on NA track cars, so it should work a treat on a daily.

My daughter had a good laugh today, I took off from the lights on Foreshore Drive, she said "punch it dad", I said  "I am punching it" and "my foot is to the firewall",  she stated that "this isn't like the Skyline or the STI, is it dad" I just laughed, which set her off, I did  manage to get infront of the Camary that I wanted to pass, only just though.

I can confirm the stated 0-100 is about 8 seconds, LOL.....?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Race ya in my wife's Tiguan, weighs probably double the weight too lol

Are there lots of corners involved, do I have a head start, will you be towing a trailer?

If not then no....?EDIT: From googling the Tiguan 2.0 TDI has a 8.6 0-100, so all I need is a head start, and some tight corners, no trailer required, soooo, up the pass to the pie shop?

Loser buys the pies......? ?

11 minutes ago, mlr said:

Are there lots of corners involved, do I have a head start, will you be towing a trailer?

If not then no....?

Okay, how about this no head start but strap a caravan to the missus' Tiguan and we call that fair lol, triple the weight vs the 86.

5 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Okay, how about this no head start but strap a caravan to the missus' Tiguan and we call that fair lol, triple the weight vs the 86.

Sounds fair to me, even with the extra weight from the window tint negatively affecting my power to weight ratio.

Now I wish I went for the "lighter" tint, the weight of the 35% tint has increased my 0-100 to 8.5 seconds.

• Haha 1

So, front camber...

From the googles I have found that I can also get lower adjustable camber bolts for $50.

I'm going to grab some next week and see what that gives me.

The top adjustable bolts gave me -0.5° from the 2mm change, I'm wondering how much 2mm will give me in the lower bolt position.

I'm praying to the geometry gods that the lower position will give me more than the -0.5° that the top gave me.

Realistically though, the difference between top and bottom bolts is around 100mm, geometry wise I have no clue if that will make any difference ?

I'm hoping the worst case senario is -1.0° with the top and bottom bolts, any more than that is a bonus.

BUT....

From the googles it's looking hopefull, one person claimed that they got -2.5° on stock suspension with both upper and lower adjustable bolts, I'm taking that claim with a grain of salt though.

My goal is to get -1.75°, I guess I'll find out soon enough how close to that I can get.

Fingers crossed.

In other news, in track mode with the nanny's turned way down, the ease of getting the bum out is amazeballs, you can fell the nanny's trying to correct the oversteer, but not enough to actually straighten the car out. 

The nanny's do start working harder when your near full lock, I does straighten the car up, but not aggressively, which, for my driving skills, I see that as a positive thing.

Having the car swap ends is tedious.