SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

No louvre for the 86 (at this stage).

A TRD one costs about $1300 (the OEM ones look sweet).

New Karbonetic TRD knock offs cost $500, but would need alot of work and paint, which would bring it up to the cost of a OEM item.

The finish of the knock offs is really bad, bumpy bubbling clear coat that would take ages ($$$$) to fix.

Maybe a OEM one is something to think about later.

$1300 is hard to justify just for some shade.

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Still waiting for skids vid

Unless there is a texi soon there isn't much chance of skid vid.

And the pavement needs to be wet, other wise it justs chirps and near on stalls.

I still need to get the thing tuned as well.

I'm gonna do it, it's just I keep spending car budget money on other stuff.

Hahahaha does it really bog?  Wow lol

Other day at the lights down Cumberland Highway heading towards KK (was actually going to Office Works) some little F Boy kid was in his fully sick 86 and went on the far left lane to overtake everyone.

Of course I toyed with him as we took off and just kept up to him as he was reving the living daylights out of his poor NA eco friendly car. I then stomped on it and off I went. He drove up to me afterwards and looked confused.

Anyhow was in the missus' Tiguan lol.

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Hahahaha does it really bog?  Wow lol

Other day at the lights down Cumberland Highway heading towards KK (was actually going to Office Works) some little F Boy kid was in his fully sick 86 and went on the far left lane to overtake everyone.

Of course I toyed with him as we took off and just kept up to him as he was reving the living daylights out of his poor NA eco friendly car. I then stomped on it and off I went. He drove up to me afterwards and looked confused.

Anyhow was in the missus' Tiguan lol.

Yeap, they are as slow as f**k in a straight line, around 100ish killerwasps at 7600 rpm I believe, and maybe 13 torques at 3000 rpm.

Super fun on tight corners though, just like my old MX5, you really need to avoid using the brakes and always keep it on the boil.

I've been chopped a few times when I've dropped into the left lane to get a jump on traffic.

I still find it excellent fun reving the bejebus out of the thing and throwing it around some corners.

Plus the thing is so cheap to run and maintain.

My daughter has been learning to drive manual in it, she has stated "I love you dad, can I have this", so....as I am a sucker she might end up with it, so at this stage there is no FI in sight.

I've been thinking of what I would get next, not alot of small RWD cars out there.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mlr said:

My daughter has been learning to drive manual in it, she has stated "I love you dad, can I have this", so....as I am a sucker she might end up with it, so at this stage there is no FI in sight.

I've been thinking of what I would get next, not alot of small RWD cars out there.

You must be so proud, that is an awesome result as a parent I would imagine.

15 minutes ago, JGTC said:

You must be so proud, that is an awesome result as a parent I would imagine.

Yeah, she is a good kid, nothing like her dad.

I keep telling her, well her mum keeps telling her, "your dad is a good role model, of what not to do in your youth.. ".

Polite, no school issues, no police issues, always done jobs around the house, and now, she has just finished high school, straight into part time work while see waits for the RAAF intake in March.

She has come along way from Bat Girl and Wonder Dog.

Next photo like this should have a bite dog not a Jack Russell, sadly no Bat Girl suit though.

100_9021.JPG

• Like 2

Very happy for you Mark, i have been living vicariously through your 86 journey as I am trying to edge myself to sell the GTR and simplify to a 1-wheel drive, 1 diff, no turbos and more time in the rev-zone type of car.

7 minutes ago, JGTC said:

Very happy for you Mark, i have been living vicariously through your 86 journey as I am trying to edge myself to sell the GTR and simplify to a 1-wheel drive, 1 diff, no turbos and more time in the rev-zone type of car.

The problem with the "rev zone" of the FA20 (boxer) is it takes forever to get there, 5.5 - 7.5 is the only place were stuff happens.

Don't get me wrong, in the big picture the FA20 makes OK power for what it is, but, it's not a Black Top BEAMS or a Honda F22C1 reving to 8k rpm Vtec Yo.

But, what other "new" small sporty cars are available in manual and RWD.

I love everything about my little 86, apart from the engine.

But then they are the cheapest new sporty RWD car on the market, so compromises are made.

Maybe if they release a 2.4 in the future it might be better, I wouldn't count on it though, by the time they up spec the driveline, gearbox is rated to 250nm, the added cost will drop it closer to the new Supra 4 cyl turbo that is being threatened to be released by BMW, I mean Toyota.

I believe the Toyota and Subaru twins will fade away over the next few years, sales world wide are way down.

If I didn't want a new car a S15 was on top of my list, which brings it's own problems.

The only "non-munted" low km S15's around when I was looking were between $25-30k, I only paid $32k for the 86 new, 95% of the S15's I looked at were average to say the least, and the money they wanted for them was stupid.

I was so close to grabbing a real low km ADM S15 for $30k, it was like new, well that was 3 years ago.

There is a Yellow one for sale now in QLD with under 5k km, BUT, $50k.

The only issue is with some minor mods 200kwatw is easily achievable and pretty reliable in the S15, for a reliable 200 atw, 200 for the 86....well, thats a very different story.

But then the S15 is turbo(SR20DE is worse than the FA20).

Which brings me to a used S2000, talk about thrashed out and crap body kits, finding a clean, low km, non-munted car, with hopefully a hardtop, is like finding a f**king Unicorn

STUPID CARS

• Like 2

Totally with you, 90s and 00s Japanese cars are not the performance bargains they were 10yrs ago.  Since then, they have gained cult-status, changed too many hands and been neglected too far to be turn-key drive-hard cars.  What you lose in 'presence' and street-cred you gain in trouble free, under-warranty hard-driven ks.

I owned a AE86  for about 18mths and loved the simplicity and driving thrills under 100kph so outright power is a non-issue for me, but it was so worn out and plagued with issues by the time i got hold of it, it sent me broke and even when it was running, there would be a growing list of items needing attention in the short and long term future of owning the car.

At this point of my life, I feel like it's worth spending the extra on a brand new car, enjoying alot of the trouble-free k's and then as it hits that 80-120,000k mark you start forking out to keep it going if you really like it.

Rather than saving a few buck buying a flogged car already at that mileage and spend the majority of your ownership fixing or putting money way to fix inevitable problems.

Edited by JGTC

14 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

135i or M235i or 335i 

Answers to the problems.

If you're loaded M2/M4 Competition Series.

I think closed deck B58 in the M140i is the way to go of the Euros, but still a lot of forced induction and lack of affordable aftermarket that the86 and MX-5 have due to the improved production race series.

Edited by JGTC
  • Like 1

Had an S15 4-5 years ago. Paid 8k for it back then before JDM yo became a thing. Spent a few k un flatbrimming it. Turned out pretty nice before i put it in the tyre barrier at Phillip Island, enter R33 replacement. Less f**ks given.

Anyway, the S15 was making a conservative 220rwkw and 415nm with a td06 l2 8cm on 98, the 6sp box with a sprung hd organic clutch handled it fine for the couple of years i thrashed it around.

But yeah S15's are drug money now, even for munted ones. Would not bang.

I regret building the stupid R33, money could have been well spent on a stock, fast, modern, safe, comfortable, euro car
Nonsense brah, hopefully once it all comes together properly and produces the powahs and times, it'll all make sense and you'll be happy.

38 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I regret building the stupid R33, money could have been well spent on a stock, fast, modern, safe, comfortable, euro car

Tell me about it

So much money, so much time off the road.

To the family it was known as the sometimes car, as in, sometimes it wasn't broken.

Granted it was the fastest "car" I have ever owned, that don't mean shit now. 

In the end I sold the car for about what was spent on the engine... the second time........

If there was ever a car I wish I never had, the 33 would be it.

For favorite car, it's the 86, closely followed by the MX5.

The STI was a weird purchase, I wanted to see what AWD was like, turns out I dislike AWD, alot.

I would love a Lotus Elise Sport 220, unfortunately I don't have $100k to throw on it.

post-52431-0-87989100-1380941464.jpg

snww52n9har7pke3x4uz21lh9.jpg

• Like 1