SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

37 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

NA tune, $1.1k for that extra 6.245kW

With my exhaust a massive 10-20 killerwasps is possibly achievable, maybe,for a engine that makes around 100rwkw even an extra 10 to 20% power increase would be good.

But really its the midrange that gets a good lump more of the powers.

Plus I miss rev match, and launch control and flat foot shifting is novel..

Also, I wish it was 1.1k, so far one joint at Marrickville wants 1.4k, and one at Menai wants 1.5k, so about $100 per maybe Kw's.

I've had work done at Menai before and I like the cut of their jib, aaarrrrrrr.

• 3 weeks later...

Booked in at Pulse Racing for tune, finally.

06 March at this stage, unless a earlier opening pops up.

Car is going flawlessly and handling like a dream.

Common sense prevailed IRT boost, I would be better of just buying something already fast, after owning the boat (33) with it's lotsa hp and fat torques, anything under 500hp and lotsa torques feels  slow.

So for now it's slow and low in the 86.

I am looking forward to getting the car tuned, I will see "some" NA gains, but really, the rev match, flat foot shifting and launch control from Ecutek is awesome , not that it makes me any quicker, but the noises and stuff makes this old guy smile, alot.

The other bonus of staying NA is the minimal worry about reliability, I can thrash the guts out of it and not worry about putting bay windows in the block or melting pistons, breaking rods, eating gearboxes and clutches.

Silver linings and shit.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, mlr said:

The other bonus of staying NA is the minimal worry about reliability, I can thrash the guts out of it and not worry about putting bay windows in the block or melting pistons, breaking rods, eating gearboxes, clutches and breaking an oil pump + grenading your motor afterwards

FYP :) 

7 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

FYP :) 

I would be wary about making that assumption IRT the FA20 oil pump.

"Apparently" when in the high rpm range and high oil temp the oil pump tends to cavitate enough to form pitting and a good drop in pressure, worst case senario is lunching oil pump gear.

You can up the oil weight to keep it up a bit, but there are the usual issues with a higher weight oil, more temp, OEM recommend 0w 20, I use 5w 30 (toyota recommend this for "extreme conditions", which I assume equates to my normal driving).

Reality wise, it won't be a issue for me, but, if you are building a track car it may be something to think about, well, mainly oil weight and temp control, from googling around there isn't any real fix for the cavitation at high rpm short of a exy dry sump solution.

Hell, in the end the FA20 is a cheap econobox power plant, it goes good for what it is.

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Haha I thought you were reminiscing about your old R33, hence I added in the blow oil pump part lol

My eye twitches every time I think of my old 33.

It's like a Rorschach test every time I see a oil spill.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the car goes for its tune next Wednesday, did the oil and filter, shaked out the floor mats and decided to grab a new air filter, the 17+ manual cars have a different airbox and intake design to previous models.

LOL........sooooo, I went past Toyota spares joint and asked if they had a engine air filter, they put in my vin, 17 manual, and then said they had none but could get one shipped next week.

And then...I asked how much...$75AUD, I laughed and said "na mate, just the paper element filter", he checked, got his boss to look and then asked if I want to order it now.

I laughed and walked, strangely the Ryco one I got is near on the same as the Toyota, except the packaging that is, the Ryco cost me $35 at Repco, and you can pick one up for $20 on fleabay.

There is a difference in the number of pleats, but not alot, it is still a big improvement on the crap cotton filters they used pre 17.

I'm sure the filter will not pose a restriction, even with my massive NA donkey powers and small torques 

Also found a awesome icecream factory in Mascot, the daughter and her boyfriend had, something??, not mine didn't care, BUT, I had choc chip, which was awesome, they also sell milk, full tilt hippy shit, $6.00 for just under 1 ltr, LOL, but, my god it's good milk, and it's all mine, no one wants fresh full fat creamy milk, I concider that a win for me.

20190228_131856.jpg

20190228_202110.jpg

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

My guess, 123.0273480923794873298 kWs

Negative 

It has actually got more than I hoped for.

Taking it for a drive shortly to test the rev match, launch abd flat foot shifting.

I'm excited....

Stoked

Near on 22% increase from before tune.

Stock average is around 107-110, so, assumptions.......my exhaust and intake mods gave me around 5-8 extra donkey powers prior to tuning, then KAPOW, another 32 raging donkey powers.

In the end it's around a 25% power gain over stock, I'm stoked.

I was hoping for 125ish, did I say I'm stocked.

You can really notice it too, the car really wants to rev now, before, not so much.

Launch control if full of LOLS, same same for flat foot shifting, rev match just makes shit easier.

Overall I'm f**kING STOKED in the car now, it still ain't no rocket ship, but it's so much better than stock now its not funny.

20190306_133115.jpg

• Like 3