SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

22 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

I wonder if you can fit the new Subaru 2.4L turbo engine in

Currently very costly I would assume, lots of extra wiring and shit 

FA24 is "apparently" pretty much a bored out FA20, so, maybe a viable bottom end swap if/when needed.

Not sure of how/if they added strength to the block or internals.

Also not sure about oiling.

I am keen to see what people do, I'm not going to be one of the first though.

11 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Hey @mlr

Wasn't there something mentioned earlier about these things having a gearbox issue with more power? 

Yeap, gearbox is rated to 250nm, when you take into account 10% or more safety factor, it should hold up for street thrashing and skids on 225 RS3's.

Wise clutch selection is also required, the stock clutch hopefully should hold, if not, a slightly heavier one may be required, but, nothing overly heavy, the clutch will be the fuse prior to the gearbox.

10 minutes ago, admS15 said:

They'll handle 190rwkw with a mature driver behind the wheel. MLR hopes so anyway. Lol.

I might be old, but I'm definitely not mature, mad skids will be had.

1 minute ago, admS15 said:

Thats the spirit.

Plus from typical dyno results I should be around 230nm, so 20 spare nm.

No, lets NOT talk about the difference between engine torque and wheel torque, my gearbox will survive because I will fill it with hopes and dreams.

Actually, wheel torque is around the same as engine torque so you'll be in the safety zone until you can't control yourself from upping the boost and releasing those cogs to freedom [emoji6]

• Haha 1

On another note, isn't the gearbox the same aisin 6 speed that is found in s15's or is it a lower spec version of it?

I was putting 415nm through my s15 and the box handled it fine.

Edit

You should speak to sau member mini wog i think it is who has been running a turbo'd 86 for a while now. Not sure if its still original standard box, i think it is. He recently inreased boost and power to around 220rwkw, runs r specs and frequently tracks the car, seems to handle it well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mlr said:
Been thinking, again, bad things happen when I think..........booked in for early September, dooh....
TURBO KIT
  • Custom spec billet wheel turbo + upgraded wastegate actuator
  • Oil scavenge pump setup
  • Unequal length exhaust headers
  • Front Mount Intercooler & piping (black)
  • Intake piping to mate to factory airbox (powder coated black, very stock looking)
  • HKS high flow air filter element
  • All fittings & braided lines required
  • Oil breather & catch can setup
  • All labour to install
  • Custom Pulse Racing Tune (Including launch control, flat foot shifting, auto-blip on downshifts – whichever options you desire"

And yes, I desire all options.

This is good to hear. Be interesting to hear what you think of the once it has some more go.
Will you be using most of your current exhaust setup?

22 minutes ago, admS15 said:

On another note, isn't the gearbox the same aisin 6 speed that is found in s15's or is it a lower spec version of it?

I was putting 415nm through my s15 and the box handled it fine.

Aisin AZ6 have different internals between brands.

Anyways, my old 33's 5 speed was fine on RS3 with 700nm, different story on drag radials though, 700nm and sticky tyres ate them good.

I nevet ended up finding the manufactures specs on the Nissan RS5R30A, well, I think that's the one used.

10 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

This is good to hear. Be interesting to hear what you think of the once it has some more go.
Will you be using most of your current exhaust setup?

Yeap, only change with be the exhaust manifold of course, AVO use a UEL design, so it will sound a bit weird, "subi rumble", aka, dropped cylinder, but that's not a war stopper.

This whole "f**k it, lets boost" came from me wanting to quiten down the cold start without adding any further restrictions, tuning it out is problematic for other reasons, it was going to get louder too as I was looking for a better 4:2:1 header, the punched out OEM one, whilst it makes good power, could be better.

Ok.......LOL.......Apparently a turbo is a excellent way to muffle down some cold start noise.

So......f**k it, let's boost.....there is going to be a new restriction in the shape of a little turbo, I'm happy with that.

The big question, which has already been brought up, is how happy are my rods, bearings, gearbox and clutch going to be?????

Meh, f**k 'em, let's go

• Like 2

That is the starkest reason to turbo a car. Good work.

Normally cold start can be loud as timing is retarded to warm cat up quickly. Just for reference, if those tables can be modified you could have just done that. But a turbo is obviously the sensible option!

• Haha 1

I say go for it, do the boxes fail spectacularly? If so, can you out a light and a dash cam under the car? 

Wanna see that shit on vid. 

As mentioned, Mark may be old, be he ain't mature :P

19 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

That is the starkest reason to turbo a car. Good work.

Normally cold start can be loud as timing is retarded to warm cat up quickly. Just for reference, if those tables can be modified you could have just done that. But a turbo is obviously the sensible option!

You can modify the tables to reduce the overlap but it starts f**king with the idle, it's not just the timing either, there's black magic going on with the  fuel tables as well.

All to throw fire at the cats for 20 seconds to heat those puppies up.

So yes.....I could have added some bigger and better mufflers, but no great story ever started with, "I'm going to put a bigger muffler on my car".

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Duncan said:

sounds wierd....but i reckon you're making a mistake

I'll just leave this here history never repeats, I tell myself...

LOL, true uncle Duncan

But, yeah, there's always a but.

The 33 was taken too far for a daily, plus the actual build was a nightmare, lots of small, lets say, mistakes, caused more issues than what the car was worth, it spent more time getting the engine pulled out than was really needed, if the modifications were done correctly the first time I may still have the car, but there were multiple things wrong, plus beating on it at the drags took its toll as well, there were lessons learnt with that thing.

Putting a bolt on kit running 8psi on the 86 is a drop in the ocean compared to the 33.

In the end there's alot of fa20's running fine on low boost, we have 2 at work, 1 supercharged and 1 turbo, both have been boosted for a few years, but it's like anything, push things to far and stuff is gonna break, or, sometimes shit just happens.

In the end, if it lasts a few years I'll be happy, I'm waiting on what comes next with the next model 86 anyway, if they just don't drop the platform that is, lots of forum talk is all that's really happening ATM.

If/when it breaks, I'll work out why and deal with it then.

I am loving the little Bessie though, currently it has been my all time favorite car for throwing around.

Disclaimer: these are my thoughts this week, ask me again in a month or three and see how I'm feeling about stuff.

• Like 2

All I'm saying....is I've known you for probably 10 years, and you have even less ability to stop yourself sliding down the slippery slope of modification than me....and I modified a bloody Leaf! And a Titan. And a Cima. And a Stagea. And a Cube. And even a bloody March Super Turbo. 

In fact, the stagea has been off the road for a year next week waiting for a bit more go...

I know your sickness too well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2