SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

29 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

So......

when is the 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE going in?

If I was gonna, but I'm not, this would float my boat.

Picked up some new OEM mudflaps.

$85

Strangely the cheapest I could find them was at Sydney city toyota.

Pick them up on Thursday.

Also pick up my front lower camber bolts on Thursday, this will be interesting, what I can finally get out of the stock setup using just camber bolts is anyones guess.

Hopefully my oil to water cooler/warmer/thingie turns up this week, it will give my some fun playing with the car on the weekend.

I'm still trying to work out what rear camber solution, the lower adjustable arms look easy and relatively cheap enough, lowers give advertised  adjustment of +/- 2.5°.

You can get upper bushings with camber bolts but although they are slightly cheaper there's alot more work to install, and max advertised adjustment is around +/- 0.75°.

I only need 0.5° to be able to even things out, -1.5° at the rear, currently its like L -1.4° and R -2.1°.

I will probably be lazy and get the lower arms.

Mudflaps are a go go, should see about 5 hp from these puppies.

I'm surprised how good they look, with all the other black bits, IMO it looks much better with than without.

Plus my bike, the little green thing is the awesome.

20180725_193409.jpg

20180725_193628.jpg

20180725_193754.jpg

• Like 1

So, IMO, one of the major issues with new cars nowadays is the use of space savers tyres or, like my 86, the crap puncture repair kits.

So, I have been looking at options to get a full sized spare in the boot, I asked toyota how much for the same rim I now have, $1000, bugger me sideways, I said no to that straight up, none are for sale used anywhere I can find, the GTS 17" rim doesn't clear the Brembo's either.

So, I went looking for any new or used cheap aftermarket rims that would suit, nothing cheap of either new or used.

So, I got the shits and grabbed the cheapest rim I could find new that would fit, a Enkei RFP1, she is a 17 x 8 +45 , but I'm gonna stick a 215 that I have from when I replaced the Michelins with the Hankooks and stick it in the boot for now.

Once I get the tyre fitted I'm gonna stick it on and see how it looks with a 215 on it.

More than likely (read: I'm gonna) will get another 3 soon and replace all of the OEM 17 x 7 with the 17 x 8 Enkei's, but only if it doesn't look shit stretched on.

I wish I would have sorted this out before getting the new 215 Hankooks though, dooh.

20180726_165531.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

A simple solution would be to do a few trackdays on the Hancooks before you get the new Enkei's

I'm gonna look at doing some  motorkhana in the future, either way, after sleeping on it, I'll grab another 3 RFP-1's in a couple of weeks, skid out the 215's on the Enkei's with some khana and street work and grab some 235's when the 215's are kaput.

1 OEM will be delegated as a spare, the other 3 will be sold to recoup some of the outlay.

From googling around people are looking for full sizes spares that fit over Brembo's, they should sell quickly, I hope.... 

Now with added full size spare bootliner and fixtures, I just need to get the Enkei's now.

Oh, and pers number plate, pfft, it's only money.

20180727_145113.jpg

20180727_152931.jpg

This thing looks like it would be a heap of fun, would love to take one of these for a spin.
Really liking the new 86's, the small changes make them look a lot better.
Enkeis are nice, i would go for a 9 inch wide set though, the concave design of the 9inch+ wheels just looks better imo

41 minutes ago, vxsr33 said:

This thing looks like it would be a heap of fun, would love to take one of these for a spin.
Really liking the new 86's, the small changes make them look a lot better.
Enkeis are nice, i would go for a 9 inch wide set though, the concave design of the 9inch+ wheels just looks better imo

The car is a blast, not as nimble as my old MX5, it weighs 250kg more than the 5, but a blast none the less, but it is so much more compliant than the 5, the 5 did have BC coils on it though, you felt every bump.

I would say it's slightly quicker than the 5 as well.

I took a guy from work for a spin, he was saying he couldn't believe I got a car with such little power, after a "spirited" drive around the local "circuit" he changed his mind about the car.

As for rim size, the 8" are what it is getting, my main concern is the rubber size and the ability to clear the Brembo's, looks come second, the car don't need any bigger tyres than the 215's on it ATM, going with a 8" will mean a  225 min or 235 max, the 235 will be overkill for the power and weight of the car IMO, but compromises were made and I'm OK with them.

I hope my oil warmer/cooler thingie turns up this week, waiting for parts is the arse.

In other news I've been playing with my tyre pressures, currently 32F 30R, tyres seem to really like it, I'm still about 5mm away from the little arrows, so -0.5° on the front isn't causing the tyre to try and roll over onto the sidewall, weird, or I'm just not going hard enough yet cornering, I'm trying though.

My oil cooler took 8 days to travel 14000 km from Colorado US to Mascot AU and be cleared by customs, the next 8 days it has been "in transit to destination"

Trust Australia post to take 8 days to ship something 30 km.

It better turn up tomorrow, I wants to fit it on Saturday, I needs it here so I can grab the right hose and fittings.

TL;DR: Australia Post is a joke and I'm impatient 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mlr said:

Australia Post is a joke and I'm impatient 

Anything government related is cooked, just like the light rail project, NBN, promise of HSR every decade, bunch of jokers!

You order something from HK gets here in 3 days, send something from NSW to WA takes 4 days via Regular post lol.

Getting a nitrous kit next? Good gains 

6 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Anything government related is cooked, just like the light rail project, NBN, promise of HSR every decade, bunch of jokers!

You order something from HK gets here in 3 days, send something from NSW to WA takes 4 days via Regular post lol.

Getting a nitrous kit next? Good gains 

Only a 50 shot so I can lay down some hectic smokescreen, yeah na...

Oil cooler warmer thingie finally showed up, thank Jebus.

Finally worked out my camber woes, I haven't got them yet but I at least have made a desision.

Hopefully will have rims and suspension bits sorted this month.

These are the last bits I'm getting.....seriously, except for maybe......some other stuff

images.jpeg

s-l400.jpg

images (1).jpeg

• Like 1

MCA street performance coil overs and the MCA traction mod bracket thingie is on its way, ETA, 2 weeks.

Rang them the other day and talked to one of the guys for 1/2 hour IRT spring rates and stuff and what would be best for my requirements, by Jebus these guys know their stuff.

Now it's time to play the waiting for parts game again.

Talking about waiting, I forgot to order the longer bolt for the oil warmer/cooler, big fail on my part, that has now been ordered and I suspect it will turn up in a couple of weeks.

The bolt is another part that I can get cheaper shipped from the US than I can get local, f**k the Australia tax.

In other news, I'm gonna grab the Enkei centers, the other options, albeit cheaper, dont float my boat, but $140 for 4 caps is a hard pill to swallow, when I go get them I'm just gonna relax and think of the queen

For my old rpf-1's i bought a set of second hand center caps for a Honda crv/civic/oddesy and went to supercheap and found the closest colour to the silver of the rims and sprayed them myself. The caps are just flat face and slim line and they turned out pretty good. I'll upload a pic if i can remember how. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1