SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

4 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't at this point.

I'll just get the tune at this point.

From the experience I got with the tuned car with only a header and exhaust is it is still worth the outlay.

Even without a tune, the car as it stands now seems much better, it seems to rev much more freely in the midrange, proof of if I'm imagining it or not will be pre dyno results.

Stock, the torque drops its show bags badly, from 210nm down to 185nm (25nm or about 9%) from around 3-4.5 rpm, it might not seem much, but as the car has F all to start with it is noticeable daily driving.

Cold start is now quite loud though, it does settles down once the cold start has done its thing, or if I blip the throttle.

I'm sure the neighbors are aware of my new and improved exhaust modifications now.

The tune will remove the cold start issue now that that particular function is redundant, and hopefully, the tune flattens the curve out.

The cat in the midpipe seems to be doing its thing well, I'll get them to check my emissions when it's tuned to ensure compliance.....

• 1 month later...

So, the car is going brilliantly, slowly wearing out the tyres, will need some new rubber soon, I'm thinking of going to 225, or a massive 235, maybe????

I'm dropping some leave soon and will have some free time, So...

I grabbed a 2.5" aftermarket overpipe.

The OEM overpipe is 2", the one I picked up is 2.5".

Plus the OEM one has crush bends, where as the new one is mandrel bends and made from multiple sections all welded up nice and pretty, or pretty enough for something that will never be seen again once installed.

As for power gains, somewhere around "who knows", maybe 3 donkey powers, maybe 2 torque torques.

Plus the cheapo eBay exhaust wrap should see some gains in itchyness during and after installation, win win.

The point of the purchase is I want to play with the car, I haven't had bleeding knuckles for ages.

Outlay for all the parts was only $140, I estimate it will take 4 Scotch and Cokes to do.

images (1).jpeg

• Like 2

For such a little bit of exhaust it was a bit of a PITA.

I've never had to lift a engine, albeit only about 1", to fit an exhaust.

Anyways, the OEM pipe was rubbish.

20181206_151000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It rained, attempted to do mad skids, some where had, lower rpm saw mad axle tramp.

Now has subframe inserts installed (yeah I like pineapples), found some 1/2 price, sweet.

Surprisingly quite, in the 33 and MX5 the NVH from pineapples was much more noticable.

Need to test with some mad skids.

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Make sure location marked as Mexico for it to be real. 

(waits for skids video) 

Video, LOL, a picture is possible, I know how to take and post pictures.

Video on the other hand, that requires mad youtube accounts skill and shit, of which, I have none

Either Mexico, or at work. 

SAUNSW needs to do a Khana so I can do skids and run over cones.

So, I went to work, hosed down the yard and did some skids, damn it, still hopping, not as bad but still, so.......went for a drive and hit some corners, I "think" I can feel a difference in and out of the corners from the bushing insertsinthe subframe, so it wasn't a total loss.

Driving home went past Just Jap and spent $80.

Lets see how this goes.

I cannot believe I'm going to this trouble just so I can do mad skids when it's raining.

20181218_130951.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And.....the diff support brace is....out.

Whilst it was good at its job, it was way to noisy, where I had no real increase in NVH from the subframe bushing inserts, the brace had "all of them".

As the car is a daily hack, the constant whining, vibration and clunks, which initially didn't bother me, ended up being a PITA.

"BECAUSENOTRACECAR"

It is now sitting in the bottom draw of my tool box, if I ever get to a khana or something I'll put it back on, it only takes about 5 minutes.

Or.....

I might end up getting the whiteline inserts.

Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives.........f**k

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Mark....you were alive in the 70s.....

I rocked the 70's mate.

It might be early Alzheimer's, they say people revert back to their youth.

Or is it dementia?

Stupid clouds

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2018 at 5:10 PM, mlr said:

Want

karbonetic-86-louver_.jpg

Maybe I am showing my age but I ran that style of rear window louvre on coupes, sedans and hatchbacks during the 70's and 80's.

During hot weather in coupes they reduce cabin temps a lot especially if your car has a large flat rear window.

Styling wise it comes down to the specific car - some looked good but most cars looked average. The Mach I Mustangs had them made from aluminium instead of plastic and they looked great.

Enough rambling for one day.

14 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Want

278798552_images(3).jpeg.f44197db4f198c55e4035ca4fdaa0e2c.jpeg

And if you are really desperate I have one of the white ones still in one of our parts cars in the back yard.....

18 hours ago, Victory said:

Maybe I am showing my age but I ran that style of rear window louvre on coupes, sedans and hatchbacks during the 70's and 80's.

During hot weather in coupes they reduce cabin temps a lot especially if your car has a large flat rear window.

Styling wise it comes down to the specific car - some looked good but most cars looked average. The Mach I Mustangs had them made from aluminium instead of plastic and they looked great.

Enough rambling for one day.

And if you are really desperate I have one of the white ones still in one of our parts cars in the back yard.....

Yeah, I had them on some of my old cars in the 80's.

I'm gonna get the black plastic one for sure, I like the look, true, they aren't for everyone. Meh.

The main reason for it is to keep out the heat, with the amount of glass from the layed back rear window the car gets really toasty, plus it cannot be good for the interior.

Plus I really like the look, back flashing to my youth maybe.

• Like 1

And.....the diff bush support brace is....back in.

Whilst it is all clunk and whine, it is way to good at its job to leave it off.

I use to be indecisive, but now, I'm not sure.

• Like 1