SAU Community

R34 GTT Upgrading Stuff

Okay, so I've got my dream car, until I can afford myself a R35 haha. I love my 34, it's a manual 98 model. So far, engine wise, I've added a GFB 6 Preset Electronic Boost Controller. On the way, which will arrive in the next week and be in by the 28th, is a 6 boost Exhaust Manifold, 1000cc Injectors, Nistune ECU, Madcat intake manifold, fuel rail and 90mm throttle body, Walbro 460 Fuel Pump and my big 900mm Front mount intercooler. I'm planning on getting this all in within a few days of flying back home from work. I know what I'm doing adding all this stuff, it's really not hard, just a bit fiddly. I've got a few questions though..

So obviously the upgrades listed are quite substantial, and will allow me to handle quite a bit more horsepower, but I'm wondering what Turbo to upgrade to? Or even better, whats an easy way to know what turbo I can fit? As most of you would know, my manifold turbo mount supports a T3 fitting. I'm wanting at least 350HP at the wheels, but if it's possible with these specs, I'd love 400HP at the wheels. I understand the turbo plays a bit part of this, hence why I need some advice. And yes, I am aware a tune would be needed to support the rest of the mods.

My second question is related to Anti Lag. So my Nistune ECU I'm getting is plug and play, and I've heard that when it comes to anti-lag, you can have it wired to a switch. Firstly, is this possible with a Nistune ECU? And if someone could explain how it actually works? As I'm genuinely curious how a little 12v active cable being cut on and off can enable something that's programmed inside the ECU? Unless there's more to it.. cheers everyone!

Anti lag in bin. Just not worth doing.

You can fit any T3 turbo, because you're going to need a lot of fabrication anyway, and anything T3 both can and must be made to work.

Get a EFR 7670 in the T3 format. If you can return the manifold get it in T4 TS. This is the best option as it comes with a bov and boost solenoid too. If you can return the manifold, I'd just say go buy my kit which comes with literally everything.

Failing that, GTX3071 0.82 rear. But if you are buying new, the EFR is a better unit, and well, WELL worth the small price increase which is probably absorbed by not needing to buy a BOV which you would for the Garrett.

28 minutes ago, Danowner said:

my Nistune ECU I'm getting is plug and play, and I've heard that when it comes to anti-lag, you can have it wired to a switch. Firstly, is this possible with a Nistune ECU? And if someone could explain how it actually works? As I'm genuinely curious how a little 12v active cable being cut on and off can enable something that's programmed inside the ECU? Unless there's more to it.. cheers everyone!

It is triggered by road speed and can also be wired to a switch. Once a particular defined road speed is set, it is turned off.

It is for launch only and can't be used as rolling anti-lag. Also it is limited to only 0 degrees of ignition timing and can't take negative numbers. Great for building boost for good consistent launches at the drag strip. 

23 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Anti lag in bin. Just not worth doing.

You can fit any T3 turbo, because you're going to need a lot of fabrication anyway, and anything T3 both can and must be made to work.

Get a EFR 7670 in the T3 format. If you can return the manifold get it in T4 TS. This is the best option as it comes with a bov and boost solenoid too. If you can return the manifold, I'd just say go buy my kit which comes with literally everything.

Failing that, GTX3071 0.82 rear. But if you are buying new, the EFR is a better unit, and well, WELL worth the small price increase which is probably absorbed by not needing to buy a BOV which you would for the Garrett.

Just wondering why you'd request I return the manifold if I've got a top of the end manifold for the T3 fitting, which if you research, 99.999% of manifolds available are all T3, so there's something working right with that size turbo fitting and the Rb25 engine. I knew there would be someone with sarcastic response tell me to do something completely opposite to what I've requested. I asked what turbo I should use, not what turbo I should use if I had a totally different turbo fitting, which is impossible to find anyway. And for my turbo lag question, It was for show, and the occasional launch on the drag strip from a standstill. I've seen a few r33's and r34's parked up at car meets revving, then a few seconds of silence, and their revving turns into popping, and spitting flames at redline, instead of just the normal redline effect. 

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, Danowner said:

Just wondering why you'd request I return the manifold if I've got a top of the end manifold for the T3 fitting, which if you research, 99.999% of manifolds available are all T3, so there's something working right with that size turbo fitting and the Rb25 engine. I knew there would be someone with sarcastic response tell me to do something completely opposite to what I've requested. I asked what turbo I should use, not what turbo I should use if I had a totally different turbo fitting, which is impossible to find anyway. And for my turbo lag question, It was for show, and the occasional launch on the drag strip from a standstill. I've seen a few r33's and r34's parked up at car meets revving, then a few seconds of silence, and their revving turns into popping, and spitting flames at redline, instead of just the normal redline effect. 

The turbo is the most/only important part.

It is the part that defines if a car is decent or not. The best turbo really right now is not T3. You buy a manifold to fit the turbo you want, not the other way around.

Can buy plenty of OK choices for the T3, but if you are going to the considerable expense of a full build, its better to start with the turbo first, then get all the pieces to support that.

So my entire build is out the window and is total dog shit because I have a T3 instead of a T4, that shitty T3 isn't going to get me any horsepower at all hey

58 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

That is what I'm going to get after my car is running and I've provided Tao with all my test data - then upgrade :)

Teach me your ways

What about, a T3 to T4 adapter flange? In my head out kinda doesn't make sense because it's still going to be restricting airflow that tiny bit, only a few mill difference between T3 and T4, however, the bigger better turbos can go on it, so the end result would be better if I just used the adaptor right?