SAU Community

Personalized Plates - Slimline front & Rear?

Penfold

Hi,

I was about to purchase personalized plates. I wanted to know if you guys think its better slimline front & regular rear or both slimline. I realize the rear plate will need some modification to fit regardless.

Thanks,

Pen

Given that it is illegal to modify plates at all, you might want to consider your options.  Even bending the ends forward to make a normal slimline fit in the gap in the front bumper is a no-no.  I have my front one bent, and the guy at Regency came close to demanding that I straighten it on site before he would let me drive the car away - instead making me promise to straighten it (and hence find a mounting solution that would allow it to be straight without rubbing off the paint!) at home.  Granted, I then broke my promise and it is still like it.....but that's me not planning on getting pulled over by a really shitty cop.

I think that the alternative to the slimline plates, where the plate is double height, but not as wide, actually makes more sense on R3x Skylines for the rear.  That's over the choice of normal or slimline.  The Jap plate holder is intended to take a tall plate.

There's not really a good solution for the front.  Placing a standoff behind the plate so that the outer ends can sit in front of the bumper past the ends of the recess is about the only legal approach.  Bending and cutting are not acceptable.

Overall I prefer slim front, regular rear (we're talking about woman right?).

You haven't mentioned what car, however for reference, the regular no-frills QLD plates fit perfectly in my R33 rear bar (could be aftermarket though?), and as per GTSBoy, my front bar (definitely aftermarket) recessed mounts were drilled for NSW plates which the QLD plate holes didn't seem to line up to, so for different reasons I similarly made an offset bracket.