SAU Community

1998 R34 Timing Problems

Ok where do I start. I have a 1998 Nissan Skyline R34 GTT ot recently had an issue with a phantom misfire I tried to locate and bought a consult fixed pending codes and cleared ecu for code 55 all clear.

Next on inspection we checked the timing using the consult which originally displayed 15 degrees fluctuates 14-16 then we went to put every thing back together and move on to plugs and coils but I thought I'd run consult again to which nothing was moved but timing on consult said below 10 but timing light says normal. I cant adjust anything to bring up timing on consult I have read the workshop manual which we have here but still nothing and I'm doing as requested.

Can anyone here help me or point me into a direction where someone can... thank you guys

I've pulled timing covers off to discover a loose timing belt and a broken tensioner I've put it on the hoist and pulled it down I'm hoping replace belt tensioner pump and seals and reset ecu start timing procedure again.
Then back to hunt for misfire.

• 4 weeks later...

Im having problems getting the car timing I can only get close to 15degrees and the car is missing and popping replaced timing belt put all at tdc tensionerd belt correctly and can only get 15 degrees when maxing out the cas also the consult which I purchased from Stahl car says it's at 0 degrees then fluctuates from 5 to 10 is there anyone that can help or have had this issue resolved I'm at my wits end I'm on the south coast nsw and no decent shops to figure out this problem. Spark plugs have also been changed and are gapped a 0.8mm I dont know anymore.

You need what is displayed on the consult to match what is on the timing gun. Disconnecting the tps makes it lock the timing at 15 at idle so you can set it, from what I remember.

• Thanks 1

Ok man thanks... I know it's a problem that I have induced... so do I set the cas back to centre disconnect TPS and try from there.... I know the base idle and everything has been messed with as heaps of people on the south coast has had a stab with no success. 

• 3 weeks later...

Coil packs replaced and new plugs again bcpr7es 0.8mm problem still exists should I be looking at injectors and cas as I have both problems still rough misfiring idle and timing wont time properly. Or do I give up and take to Nissan?

Don't know what is meant by the South coast of NSW  but Nissan would not be one of the places I would let loose on my car. If you ask I am sure you will find at least a couple of shops in Sydney that have expertise in the RB