SAU Community

Sporty Wagons

Are these a dying breed? I'm looking for an upgrade for the mrs, and we are both leaning towards another wagon. I'd really like to get something AWD and with a decent bit of power, hopefully 6 cylinders for the sound and smoothness, rather than a turbo 4. However, there doesn't seem to be much around, unless you're willing to go for an expensive audi or merc. Subaru seems to have gone the CVT route with everything, and the other major manufacturers spend all their time churning out SUVs and 100kw pieces of cheese. Strangely, the most interesting vehicle at the moment looks like the new Holden Commodore tourer AWD. A Commodore VF wagon with RWD might be an option too. Are there any interesting gems out there that I am missing?

I wouldn't touch a Holden with a 10 foot barge pole.

My suggestion is to take a LEVORG GT-S for a spin, yes it has CVT, but the CVT is nothing like alot of people claim, a guy at work has one, it's a really sorted car.

Plus, when you add up what you get for your money, there really isn't anything out there to match the safety and features, plus the resale value won't drop like a brick, re:Holden, and you don't have to put up with the non existant after sales service if something goes wrong, which, being a Holden, is highly probable.

Both the LEVORG and the V6 holden calais wagon cost near on the same.

Don't forget to use a broker if your buying new, I've saved thousands using one.

Rs6 or merc v8 wagon. If can't afford those, the vf ss wagon is a damn fine vehicle that will make you smile ever time you prod the throttle.

I wouldn't listen to that joker in the youtube clip. He's just click bait.

If you like older cars, m35 stagea for sure[emoji3]

Cardogawanker may be clickbait....but realistically, he's right about not buying Holden.  Holden is dead.  Why would you voluntarily buy something that will become an unsupported orphan?  And it's not as if the new Commode has anything to offer over the zillion other FWD pussboxes in the same segment.  In fact, it is blandest amongst the bland.

VF, is another story.  High point at the tail end of a sad story.

I like my Gen 5 Liberty GT. It's a wagon, turbocharged, 4WD :P shame it's dead now.

But yeah, give the Levorg a try. Understand how a CVT works before expecting it to drive like a traditional automatic or automated manual/DSG (i.e. expect gear simulations).

If you're looking new, I'd be looking at a Skoda Superb 162TSI or 206TSI.

Same engine as the Golf (the 206 gets the Golf GTI engine!), built by Volkswagen so build quality is there.  Cheaper than its Volkswagen brethren.

Get it in battleship grey and check the tech pack option for the adaptive suspension... gosh I'm getting heavy just thinking about it.

The 206 is awd only though, 162 is FWD. Gearbox is a proper dual-clutch automatic.

Skodas definitely don't get enough praise.

Edited by alex182
Factual errors
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, alex182 said:

Same engine as the Golf (the 206 gets the Golf GTI engine!), built by Volkswagen so build quality is there.  Cheaper than its Volkswagen brethren.

Get it in battleship grey and check the tech pack option for the adaptive suspension... gosh I'm getting heavy just thinking about it.

The 206 is awd only though, 162 is FWD. Gearbox is a proper dual-clutch automatic.

I hear ya. VW underneath so still an awesome car, just cheaper. 

3 hours ago, alex182 said:

A bit of a tangent but I have just acquired a 2003 Skoda Superb - built on an extended Passat chassis with the VAG 2.7V6 - its a great well equipped car with a proper 5 speed tiptronic box that goes better than my 3.5L Maxima did!

How about a Golf R wagon? 
I just bought the wife a Tiguan 162TSI Sportline and I can tell you it handles amazing, not so much a wagon but close to it. I would have gotten a Golf R wagon if she didn't have a thing against wagons lol.
Why not tiguan r?

35 minutes ago, admS15 said:
45 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:
How about a Golf R wagon? 
I just bought the wife a Tiguan 162TSI Sportline and I can tell you it handles amazing, not so much a wagon but close to it. I would have gotten a Golf R wagon if she didn't have a thing against wagons lol.

Why not tiguan r?

Nearly 10k more, for mechanically nearly the same car. I have nearly all the driver aids except the bird's eye camera and the fancy dash.

Still has launch control, AWD, adaptive dampers and 20s lol 

On 7/23/2018 at 10:25 PM, PranK said:

Golf R Wagon is bloody hot. I think @GoldZilla has one, maybe he can chime in.

I wish mine was a Golf R Wagon - they announced it as an official addition to the range about 6 months after I'd bought mine...  :(

Mine is an R-Line (an option pack you can get on the Highline-spec Golfs), so it's got a lot of the Golf R and GTI features (15mm lower suspension, Dynamic steering, R steering wheel with paddle shifters for the DSG, black headlining, black/grey interior, different front bumper, rear spoiler with winglets reaching down the side of the rear windscreen, 18" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza S001 tyres, etc.), but it's only a 1.4l turbo with FWD.

Still, it does alright for what it is - has heaps of low-end torque and uses barely any fuel, especially compared to the Stagea.  I think I'm averaging about 780km per tank - tank holds 50l, fuel light comes on at around 45l.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 2:15 PM, alex182 said:

Bwaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! VW = quality....that's HILARIOUS!!!!

I bought the levorg spec b.

Really enjoy the car but in two minds on the suspension.

I feel its just a little bit harsh and could use more arb and less spring. Only an issue on the rougher pothole roads of Sydney.

• Like 1