SAU Community

L26 engine replacement

Needing help resolving a problem....I have just inherited a saw bench operated by a 6 cylinder L26 engine and gearbox, but the engine seems seized....I haven't looked into what's wrong yet as I have no knowledge of these engines or gearboxes, but I'd like to know what would take its place if it's a boat anchor...

Almost any engine will do, so long as it is about the same size/power/torque.  These days, the smart thing to do would probably be to find an old Holden/Ford engine, or maybe an old other Nissan/Toyota of the same sort of vintage.  The reason is that anything much newer will be fuel injected, and then you need high pressure fuel pumps, the ECU, sensors, etc etc all working. Old carby/distributor engines are much simpler for this application.

If it were me though, I'd get an engine from a ute.  2.5 or 3L 4cyl fuel injected.

But see if you can oil the bores and get the old clunker turning first.

4 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Almost any engine will do, so long as it is about the same size/power/torque.  These days, the smart thing to do would probably be to find an old Holden/Ford engine, or maybe an old other Nissan/Toyota of the same sort of vintage.  The reason is that anything much newer will be fuel injected, and then you need high pressure fuel pumps, the ECU, sensors, etc etc all working. Old carby/distributor engines are much simpler for this application.

If it were me though, I'd get an engine from a ute.  2.5 or 3L 4cyl fuel injected.

I am certainly going to try to get the original engine going as it will be easier than having to source a new one not knowing what sort of Nissan this engine came out of....

Thanks for responding 

4 hours ago, admS15 said:

Surely rb26 is the answer..

Could you elaborate a little bit more for me please as I'm not familiar with anything Nissan...

Thanks for the input so far....much appreciated...at least I have that engine number you supplied..

Cheers

4 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

What other engines will this gearbox fit if I can't get it going and can't get another L26 ???

6 minutes ago, Bohunter said:

I am certainly going to try to get the original engine going as it will be easier than having to source a new one not knowing what sort of Nissan this engine came out of....

Thanks for responding 

It would have come out of a 260Z or a 260C sedan, seeing as that's about the only cars that had them here in Australia.

2 minutes ago, Bohunter said:

Could you elaborate a little bit more for me please as I'm not familiar with anything Nissan...

Thanks for the input so far....much appreciated...at least I have that engine number you supplied..

Cheers

He's having a joke, because the RB26 is the distant descendant of the L26, and is the motor from the R32-4 GTRs and is the answer to every question (other than those questions to which the answer is LS1 or 2JZ).

7 minutes ago, Bohunter said:

What other engines will this gearbox fit if I can't get it going and can't get another L26 ???

Any Nissan L series engine will fit the box.  That's all the 6s and the 4s.  The 4s are a likely to be a little weak for the task.  There were also some other Nissan 4s, with bigger sizes that I think share the same block/box mounting pattern.  I think the Z series are like that, but I'm not enough of an old Nissan tragic to know or care.

I think if you have to change the engine, you would consider changing the gearbox too, because an old manual box for an old Ford/Holden/Nissan/Toyota shitter engine won't break the bank and will vastly open up your options.  To be honest, when you said the engine was running a sawbench, I did not even picture it with a gearbox.  I figured some direct flywheel attachment was in order.

If you really want to power it up, get a 3.8L V6 from an old Commodore, along with the manual box and the necessary fuel injection gear and make it turn the bench upside down on throttle crack!

On 7/24/2018 at 1:21 PM, GTSBoy said:

It would have come out of a 260Z or a 260C sedan, seeing as that's about the only cars that had them here in Australia.

He's having a joke, because the RB26 is the distant descendant of the L26, and is the motor from the R32-4 GTRs and is the answer to every question (other than those questions to which the answer is LS1 or 2JZ).

Any Nissan L series engine will fit the box.  That's all the 6s and the 4s.  The 4s are a likely to be a little weak for the task.  There were also some other Nissan 4s, with bigger sizes that I think share the same block/box mounting pattern.  I think the Z series are like that, but I'm not enough of an old Nissan tragic to know or care.

I think if you have to change the engine, you would consider changing the gearbox too, because an old manual box for an old Ford/Holden/Nissan/Toyota shitter engine won't break the bank and will vastly open up your options.  To be honest, when you said the engine was running a sawbench, I did not even picture it with a gearbox.  I figured some direct flywheel attachment was in order.

If you really want to power it up, get a 3.8L V6 from an old Commodore, along with the manual box and the necessary fuel injection gear and make it turn the bench upside down on throttle crack!

I pulled the plugs out &  found cylinders 2 & 4 full of water...after blowing out the water I put a cap full of oil in all the cylinders then put tension on the crankshaft and tail shaft/drive shaft with 3 foot stilson and a  fence strainer because I don't have a chain block.... I'll see if anything happens.....

On 7/27/2018 at 8:28 AM, GTSBoy said:

You might have to pull it apart and give it a prostitute's rebuild.

That's why I wanted another engine....I really don't want to rebuild an old engine....

I'd really like to find an old car still running for the engine...

But I don't know what car to chase down...

Think about how little work there would be in a "prostitute's rebuild".  Dismantle, wash, hone bores, new rings, new bearings at the most.  New gaskets.  Close her up and send her back to work.  It's equivalent to scraping the scabs out.

My 2 cents is anything with a carbie, I've seen a ton of waterpumps running on old 202 motors, hell some old diesel 4 cylinder engine would probably be better torque wise.

You could most likely pick up a old banger for a couple of hundred and then sell the L26 and not lose a cent in the process.