• Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Recommended Posts

Hello,

I have owned a bone stock 96' 4 door ECR33 with LESS THAN 20K miles for about a year now and I have finally decided to give it some upgrades. I bought a super clean set of R33 GTR wheels for a steal and I have decided to follow a stage 1 guide I have seen floating around on this forum and others. I have found everything I want EXCEPT an exhaust. I want to know what I should run from the trubo allllll the way back. I havent really worked on a car in this manner before so please be specific. Any suggestions? I also want to know what measures I should take to avoid common problems with my engine. I have heard the rb25det has an oil issue but i dont know much about it or other problems. 

Thank you from Okinawa, Japan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally you want a full exhaust.  So you want a nice big dump pipe (off the turbo), big 4" or 5" cat with 200cpi (if you want it to do anything at all) or 100 cpi (if you want it to do almost nothing at all but look pretty legal) or no cat at all if you give no fark and don't mind cleaning the soot off the bumper.  The exhaust should then be 3" or 3.5" with a straight through centre muffler and a big rear muffler.  3" if you future power goals are not super high, 3.5" if you're aiming for lots of power.

There is an entire thread on here (search for "oil control") with hundreds of pages.  Start reading at the beginning, then you can actually skip a lot of it and only read the last 20 pages or so.  You will see posts towards the end guiding you to where the useful summary info starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And watch out for Japanese brand name exhausts - many of them have 3in inlets and outlets but narrow down to 2 1/2 in just before the outlet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Ideally you want a full exhaust.  So you want a nice big dump pipe (off the turbo), big 4" or 5" cat with 200cpi (if you want it to do anything at all) or 100 cpi (if you want it to do almost nothing at all but look pretty legal) or no cat at all if you give no fark and don't mind cleaning the soot off the bumper.  The exhaust should then be 3" or 3.5" with a straight through centre muffler and a big rear muffler.  3" if you future power goals are not super high, 3.5" if you're aiming for lots of power.

There is an entire thread on here (search for "oil control") with hundreds of pages.  Start reading at the beginning, then you can actually skip a lot of it and only read the last 20 pages or so.  You will see posts towards the end guiding you to where the useful summary info starts.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Any recommended manufacturers? If you're running this setup what do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

And watch out for Japanese brand name exhausts - many of them have 3in inlets and outlets but narrow down to 2 1/2 in just before the outlet.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, samw/skyline said:

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Any recommended manufacturers? If you're running this setup what do you have?

I'm only making ~190rwkW, so don't need a super exhaust.  I just have a no-name 3" Jap exhaust (that doesn't have the 2.5" restriction).  If I was to put a new exhaust on my car, to meet some enhanced power making desires, I would not buy an off the shelf "brand name" exhaust.  I would get it made locally to my specs with mufflers of my choosing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike APR you can go from Stage 1 to Stage 3.5 without the need to retune between stages.

Invest a Link or Haltech or ECU Master get your car running really well, setup closed loop o2 feedback and boost control via  3-port MAC valve.

The stock ECU is the restriction in most cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now