SAU Community

91 skyline gtst type m

Skylinedean93

Hey guys i just got my dream car last week. Its a 91 nissan skyline gtst type m. Ive beem saving for over 8 years to get this car and im so excited i finally have it. Im looking forward to many years with it. 

Unfortunately today i filled up my gas tank with 91 octaine ethenol free gas for the 3rd time since ive owned it and after i left the gas staion everytime i come to a stop at a light or intersection my car will idle out and die. I can start it right back up but the ilde is way low like 300 to 400rpm.

Can anyone help? 

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Feel free to tell me and i will move it to the correct place. 

received_1803654729725538.jpeg

You in the US?  You need 93 octane for a start, otherwise it will ping, especially in hot weather.  But this should not cause it to stall.  They will run (idle) very happily on any normal fuel.

You need to look to the functioning and state of cleanliness of the idle control valve.  There are about 40099922774774661191919 threads on here about exactly the same problem.

Turbo cars generally need high octane fuel to avoid what is called "pinging" as a slang term for detonation or pre-ignition, which is very damaging to everything facing the combustion event.  Your 93 MON in the US is about the same as our 98 RON here in Oz.  The cars were designed/tuned to run on 100 RON in Japan.  Using lower octane fuel is a recipe for unhappiness.

When I suggested looking at existing threads, I meant, use google to search for your problem symptoms, and point google at this site.  You will be surprised what you can find.  Read, read, read.  Do not expect to get the answer handed to you in the first 2 minutes, because internet diagnose is fraught with wrongness.  We can give you suggestions as to what could be wrong, but it almost always turns out to be something different (and usually stupid).